PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was wondering if any of you heard of this company and if you have any of their pipes? I have owned 2 and sold one, and I regret selling it but it went to a friend. In terms of briar, some of the best I have ever owned. I could puff like a madman and it barely got warm. Tobacco tasted great in them. I owned two AAA Straighht Grains( still have the one), which was their top of the line when they were made.
I see many of the lower models like AA on ebay and sometimes the on line estate dealers. I do see AAA's once in a while and they normally go for short money compared to other brands like dunhill and others. Both of mine smoke better than any dunhill I owned.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Forgotten by whom? I know them well and have one of their pipes, a Bel Air, in my collection. It was was designed to copy the Merchant Service Special which was favored by Mr. Crosby. The Bel Air is a good smoker, and its fit and finish is as good as that of any other pipe I own. Further, its briar features beautiful flame-grain.
In his book titled "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Collecting" Richard Carleton Hacker had this to say about Willmer, "Although this London firm makes some pipes under its own name for both Great Britain and the U.S., it is primarily known for the vast number of private label pipes it produces for a variety of pipe companies."

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Well I've never heard of them...we should probably close the thread before the eBay market goes to heck... :puffy:

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I had one but lost it when a woman I was seeing in Washington,DC ejected it and my other belongings from a third story window.
I really miss that pipe. :?

bentbob

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2015
I have two Willmer's. Both are Mayfair bents. One with a silver band the other without.
They are excellent pipes.
The straight grains go for quite a bit but there are bargains to be had. A friend got a beautiful half bent sandblast with a cumberland stem for next to nothing a year or so ago.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The first high quality pipe I ever bought was a Willmer. $70 in 1977, if my rememberer is working right, which was quite a project for me to put together at the time. (About $280 in today's money)
I've smoked the absolute crap out of it ever since. Definitely a Deserted Island piece.
Willmer's standards took a dive in the mid 1980's, though. Less refined shapes, inconsistent grading, & chunky, garish stems. :cry:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I bought both of mine from Mike aat Briar Blues, the most I paid was 160.00 for the one I still own. I still think I got a real good deal.
Bradley, why does it not surprise me that you have 8 of them, I am coming to your funeral and telling your wife I will give her 100.00 for all those 50.00 pipes you own.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan

My Willmer AAA Straight Grain, that served as my introduction to quality British briar (picture is from Nathan Mattia, who sold it to me).
Excellent pipe with outstanding fit and finish.
Bob

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. I have 10, reached in large cabinet and grabbed these 3, one on left is a Special, middle is AAA, right one is just labeled Willmer. Most of the others are AA, or AAAA.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I have 12, mostly the higher grades, and recently finally added a Bel Air Bing shape to the stable. Even the pipes on the cheaper end of their range smoke delightfully, equal to or better than any of the Dunhills I've owned. I may just be lucky but I've never had a Willmer that smoked poorly. I have a couple which are severely cosmetically challenged but I'll never part with them as they're as close to a holy grail pipe as I expect to get. I'm guessing their previous owners were of the same opinion as they came to me very well used.
Up until a year or so ago Willmers could be often had on the cheap but the great deals have gotten tougher to find.
Frequently featuring a chunky style all their own, often with odd looking but perfectly placed indentations to facilitate holding them, it's obvious that Willmer meant their pipes to be smoked, not just collected.
Unfortunately towards the end of their run the quality of their pipes became quite spotty so it pays to be aware when considering a purchase.
Ren

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have a Willmer lightweight. It is not a high grade, but I love this pipe, especially the shape of the stem.

willmer-600x448.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
renfield, 12 Willmers is quite the collection. I found that Dunhill's could not match a Willmer when it came to smoking properties.
Bradly, nice looking pipes, love that straight grain.
Swallow and doc, both nice pipes.

Doc, that angel hair grain on your AAA is impressive.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I completely agree, Willmers are better smokers than Dunnies, at least the ones I've had.

12 is more than I need and yet ...

I have one in unsmoked condition. It's not an especially nice piece of briar but I wonder how many unsmoked Willmers there are still around and keep putting it back on the rack and smoke one of its mates. I doubt it's worth much to a serious collector but I'd hate to be the guy to sully the last unsmoked Willmer on the planet. :)
Ren

Status
Not open for further replies.