PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I love that you love your pipes and a particular era of Americana/Tobacciana.

Without wanting to rain on your parade, but give me one commissioned pipe by Jason, or patiently wait for another American artisan estate for what you paid combined for your three pipes today.

But all power to you, if you have the budget, the space and the desire ✌🏼
People have been known to collect all kinds of objects

There was a very popular TV show called "Collectors" some years back
Someone sent in his jarred collection of belly-button fluff going back decades to when he was a teenager cray

I wouldn't put @Briar Lee's collection in that category.
Perhaps he is just shooting for an entry in The Guinness Book of Records for the largest collection of pipes by Lee nnnn

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I love that you love your pipes and a particular era of Americana/Tobacciana.

Without wanting to rain on your parade, but give me one commissioned pipe by Jason, or patiently wait for another American artisan estate for what you paid combined for your three pipes today.

But all power to you, if you have the budget, the space and the desire ✌🏼
Someday I’d like to send a hunk of seasoned Osage Orange (hedge) to a good carver and have a pipe made up.

Harry Hosterman was a good, kind man who lived in mortal fear of my mother catching him talking about pipes to me.:)

Many years ago Harry, who made a good living in Spout Spring Hollow as a sawyer opined that since Missouri didn’t have heath trees, if he was really cornered and couldn’t buy a real briar pipe, he’d use the roots of a hedge tree instead.

But if it’s a no name basket pipe, you can buy a nice fat billiard for $12 delivered:

53B2AA67-8A60-465F-87DC-8205521B0862.jpeg1FA16176-2217-4929-833D-C6C64B99CBCE.jpeg
Since it’s totally unmarked it was probably made in an American pipe factory in New York City, and because it has excellent grain likely before Hitler rolled his tanks into Poland.

What fascinates me the most about Lee is he had to live all through the war, knowing that after America won he’d get his shot at making the best pipes in the world.

Even by 1939, a billiard shaped Mediterranean briar pipe had become as common as a pair of bib overalls, like Harry Hosterman and my father wore when their wives didn’t demand them to dress up to go to town. Even their bibs were freshly laundered, starched, and ironed.

My father and Harry lived every day of their lives and never bought or “warshed” a stitch of clothing, and the mothers and wives and daughters never milked one cow, sawed one tree, or mowed one blade of grass.

Outside their homes, men were the master of all.

Inside their homes they were a slave to the most beautiful woman that ever flirted with them, and their children called Mama.

I wonder, if very many old time Christians are left. There really weren’t ever that many, then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaukisch

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It’s been a good day on eBay.

Here’s a Fischer Lovat I won for $21.45 delivered.

There are a lot of good pipes made by old American makers that sell for a fraction of what a new one would cost if commissioned.

View attachment 167042View attachment 167043
Congratulations on getting that Lovat.
Very nice looking pipe 😍
Enjoy

I was tempted, but resisted as I bought 3 Lovats in the past few weeks which I'm yet to smoke (not before I'm fully recovered from this persistent threat bug)

Last edited:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
…I bought 3 Lovats in the past few weeks

Which brings up a pressing subject. We need an organization analogous to the Académie Française to determine, after extensive and acrimonious debate, collective nouns for groups of pipes. In your case I would propose a “Fraser of Lovats” as the appropriate denomination.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Which brings up a pressing subject. We need an organization analogous to the Académie Française to determine, after extensive and acrimonious debate, collective nouns for groups of pipes. In your case I would propose a “Fraser of Lovats” as the appropriate denomination.
Or a "clan of Lovats"

I refer to my group of Bulldogs as a "kennel"

Reactions: Briar Lee and jguss

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My Fischer Lovat arrived today, and it’s proving to be a wonderful smoker.

There wasn’t a drop of varnish, and if there was any stain Everclear did not cause a paper towel to discolor, and it’s a pipe anybody ought to be proud to own.

The grain is all cross grained like a typical Lee, tight and covering every bit of the stummel evenly.

It was matte finished, and soaks up grapeseed oil like a sponge. There are no visible fills.

By my standard it’s barely broken in, just a slight cake all over the entire bowl.

The only markings on the pipe are Fischer Buffalo N Y

The value of a name brand pipe is the maker was proud enough of the product to stamp it with his brand.

Reactions: Chaukisch

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Your Fischer dates back pre 1955 with the Buffalo stamp. How do I know, I was there at the time. My first pipes.
One pipe is a small sample, but this Fischer is as well styled, designed, and made of excellent quality briar as any pipe I own.

Like a lower grade Lee, this pipe isn’t flashy but it’s as high quality overall as pipes could be made in quantity.

It’s an extraordinarily good smoker.

I want more of these, especially a high grade.

Last edited:
Reactions: didimauw

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In the almost three months since I received my Fischer, it’s become one of my favorite pipes.

In appearance and beauty it’s barely average.

But somebody in Buffalo used to select the best of the best briar, or else I got lucky in the draw.

If the pipe was made of asbestos I doubt it could smoke cooler.

Like many Lee pipes, the grain isn’t the slightest bit flashy, but it has tight, complete grain coverage on every bit of it.

The tighter and more complete grain coverage is, the better.