PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Why do you char the rims of your pipes? I use a Bic regularly but, I don't understand why one should char their briar.
Because modern Bics have flames like flamethrowers and no flame regulators.

And because I'm not a pyro-acrobat and if I invert the lighter fully I burn my thumb. Why bother when I have an angled-flame lighter?

Reactions: coldbowl57

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
The others have answered your questions, but I wanted to just add one thing on pipes.

Certain tobaccos, like ones with deertongue or ones with the Lakeland essence, lend themselves to having a dedicated pipe. Most everything else can be mitigated rather easily.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
1. You can, and I do usually once or twice per bowl, Cigars I never inhale. Retrohale is the generally preferred method.

2. Ideally a separate pipe for each blend type, 1 for Virginia, 1 for English/Balkan, 1 for Aromatics, and although unnecessary, I keep them for Burley as well.

3. Mason jars or those little flip top glass jars, Ikea is a great place for those. Can't think of the name of them though.

4. Lighter, not a torch. Soft flame butane only not a liquid fuel such as a zippo. I dont find any benefit to matches, but if you feel like go for it. You can get cheap pipe lighters on Amazon or use a Bic.