PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Hey All!

I've recently developed a keen interest in Meerschaum Pipes, spurred on in no small part by Mark, the "Bremen Pipe Smoker". His interest in Meers kindled mine; I have several Briars made by folks like Radice, Castello, Savinelli, Peterson and Morgan Bones, as well as a Radice Morta, and multiple Missouri Meerschaum Cobbs. I did purchase, at one point, an ABS Lattice Carved Meer, which I really liked but was a bit to delicate for my sensibilities. I also have 2 Kiko meer-lined leather wrapped straight and curved billards.

Fast forward to today, when I was looking into getting a much more substantial Turkish block Meer, and I found this IMP beauty on SPC:

2021-07-15-22-28-46.jpg

The above pipe has smoked WONDERFULLY since I received it a few days ago, and it's much more to my liking in terms of the substantially larger, smooth bowl. Of course, I was watching Mark discuss one of his favorite Meerschaum Carvers, Mehmet Ali Birinci, an artist that was born in Germany and creates wonderful pipes both custom and of his own design. Like him, I made the mistake of visiting Ali's eBay site, and wound up wallet deep in this pipe, which is currently winging its way to me. It's 15cm in length, 4.5cm wide, with the bowl 6cm high. Chamber is 4.5cm.

Eagle-Claw-Birinci-Meerschaum.jpg

Eagle-Claw-Birinci-Meerschaum-2.jpg

I'm really beginning to understand the draw of smoking a Meer, enjoying the flavors, the dry smoke, and the eventual patination of the pipe.

Yup.....I'm hooked.

CW