PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slrichman

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2017
Little Rock, AR
Twenty years ago I bought an estate pipe for $35-50 marked only "Made in London, England." I now realize it bears a remarkable resemblance to a Dunhill Shell 3205. It is well-drilled and quite light. However, the shank is a little longer and the stem shorter on mine. It smokes great. I wonder if it could be a second. How can I tell? How do I post pictures here?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many pipes stamped made in London and/or England are sold with hints of their being Dunhill seconds, including some made in less expensive lines by Dunhill but in no way resembling the Dunhill pipes (in shape or otherwise). This is a sort of ploy. Parker and Hardcastle are fine pipes made by the same company but by no means seconds. Britannia may be connected in some way, but likewise, is no second. I think Dunhill has long protected its mark and exalted price by not doing seconds. Either the materials are recycled and re-carved (I would guess) or destroyed. I suspect as many or more pipes have been sold with hints that they are Dunhill seconds than have Dunhill pipes been sold. Many pipes have been influenced by the Dunhill look, and i suspect that's what you are seeing there.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I click on Members at the top of the screen, where I see my avatar at the top of the list.

I tap on my name, where I see my Album.

I tap on my album, where I see the button to upload photos.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
screen-shot-2018-05-01-at-63305-am-600x364.png

Like this, from the 'Home' page.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The pipe is most likely a Ben Wade second from the mid-70's when they were in the Lane/Charatan factory.
See the excerpt from pipedia.com.
Lane had the pipe making machines brought from Leeds to London and used the well esteemed name Ben Wade to start the fabrication of entirely machine-made pipes at Charatan's Prescott Street factory. (Some sources say "not earlier than 1973" but proven by cataloges this isn't true.) Alas the "new" Ben Wades were quite usual series pipes, copies of well known standard shapes. The pipes often showed hardly masqued fillings and were processed quite coarsely with hardly polished pre-moulded Ebonite stems. Therewith Ben Wade degenerated definitively to a second brand. The stamping now read "Made in London England" or just "London". Nothing was left from the quality of the pipes once made in Leeds!
Herman G. Lane's heirs had no special interest in either Charatan or in Ben Wade and sold it to Dunhill Pipes Limited in 1978. Now, Dunhill had no need of machine-made series pipes like the Ben Wade as performed by Charatan / Lane since their own Parker-Hardcastle factory in Walthamstow had abounding capacities to turn out secondary pipes. Thus this was Ben Wade's second end. Charatan's Prescott Street factory was closed by no later than March of 1982 and Charatan was allowed to languish and discontinued in 1988.
-courtesy of pipedia.com
Someone added the name Benlet below Ben Wade on the list since I had last looked at this information, which now assigns a brand name. I'm guessing it may have been Ken Barnes, since he's a gentleman who would know. You can pick these pipes up off eBay for about $10 to $30. I've owned a few, and found them to be good smokers.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It's my understanding that although both Hardcastle and Parker had some association with Dunhill for a few years or perhaps a decade, afterward they assumed their own identity and practices. I've seen retailers try use an early association as a reason for a hefty price, most recently one of the largest and most successful. They were trying to sell an elegant but small Dublin for some 30-50% more than what it appeared to be worth, at least according to my calculus, which although educated can in no way be called expert.
We have no way of knowing if these companies kept some or many of Dunhill's practices, but as their pipes sold for much less, it would seem that the proper descriptor is more likely the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.