PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I have a great piece of briar just begging to be made into a variation of this shape. Some questions for the Dunhill experts to make sure i’m fairly accurate on the construction details-

1) I assume the horn fits onto a stub tenon on the stummel.

2) This is a military mount.

3) I can’t tell from the pictures- is there a reinforcing brass ring where the stem inserts into the horn?
BTW- this ones is available on Smoking Pipes- a beautiful pipe!
2rw6e74.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Zack, I'm not going to claim to know, but...
1. I would assume so. It's hard to tell what material the trim band between the shank and the horn is, but that could have the "stubs" on both sides?
2. That's what SP says, "On top of that, it also features a rare army mount turned from genuine horn..."
3. If it doesn't have some kind of reinforcing ring...it should!
:)

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Zack,
Here is a similar pipe on my site. Scroll down and you can see the end of the horn and how the stem fits. No brass.
http://www.briarblues.com/ras156.htm
On the horn to Ebonite to shank, I would also assume there is a tenon of some sort, be it metal or Ebonite, that is glued into the shank, to hold the floc in place.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Very helpful guys! The original was 5.93” long...I’m thinking scaling everything down slightly so it comes in at 5.25”...

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I've see WAY too many problems with horn to willingly go anywhere near the stuff.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Top-level makers using the best horn available still roll the dice every time they use it.
This pipe hadn't even been smoked yet when the pics were taken. (After smoking, I'd be surprised if the extension didn't delaminate from the shank)
rajoao9.jpg

rajoao6.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Top-level makers using the best horn available still roll the dice every time they use it.
No question about it George, even with the reinforcing ring, I've still seen cracked horn extensions... :(

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
If I was just trying to come up with something more bulletproof, I’d use a full length stainless tube that would reverse tenon into the stem...cut a slight recess in the horn to hide the shoulder of the stem and it would look exactly like the picture with fewer problems...but it just lacks that traditional feel of the army mount...might go the stainless steel route anyway- by the time I scale this down, it will cause even more problems...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Is the problem with the material
Yep- ideally, when you glue two materials together, they shrink and swell a minimal amount at a similar rate. The pictures George showed showed shrinkage of the horn against a pretty stable material, Ebonite. The movement will crack it, break glue joints, and all manner of other nastiness. I made the mistake once of making 2 pipes wih a decorative calabash ring out of Monkeywood- a beautiful wood that as soon as the humidity changed, cracked on both pipes and separated the glue line on one.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Zack, you nailed it. Humidity and temperature fluctuations can ( and often do ) create issues with horn. If you're based in So Cal it's one thing, however take the same pipe to MI and anything with horn in the Winter could be a problem. I'm with George on this 100%. I love the look, but would always be worried about cracking, shrinking etc.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Sounds like i'll try the stainless steel running full length...that might save me some grief....and the stainless will eliminate heat and moisture on the horn....

Status
Not open for further replies.