PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Just got back from a week in England. Spent the first half in Brighton and the second half in London. It was wonderful to visit and I highly recommend it. From a piper perspective it was interesting. Tobacco was outrageously expensive. I paid 20L for 2 oz of tobacco. I bought some 1820 and a flake just to say I bought some there. James J Fox is an amazing shop. The Dunhill shop was disappointing...they had some Dunhills, all small. I've always wanted to go to London and see the factory and buy a pipe. Well, I couldn't see a factory or find a pipe I wanted to I splurged online for a new pipe (I always buy estates when I can) to commemorate the trip. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive.
dunhill-ruby-bark-group-6-6103-2008.jpg

laniromee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2018
No pictures of your trip? I am planning to visit a friend who lives in London next year.
Great looking pipe, by the way.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Almost without exception, when I visit a place wanting to find or experience a particular "something" I end up disappointed. When I just visit and take what I get, it seems to end better. Looks like you visited a place, found something and then made your own experience by commemorating the trip with a beautiful pipe. Good show!! Nicely done, man.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
You'll have a great time laniromee! Be sure to leave plenty of time. I think a week in London isn't too much. My kid took most of the pics. I'll see if I can get some of them. Wales is supposed to be spectacular! My wife and I are thinking of Edinburgh and Dublin next.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Love London. The British Museum could occupy me for days. I was handed a handbill on Trafalgar Square and went to a concert of Vivaldi at St. Martins in the Fields (which is in the middle of the city by the way) with a candlelit cafeteria in the basement level. Just wandered into that one. Saw an avant guard production of Shakespeare in the theater district, seated behind what appeared to be a group of U.K. special forces guys in their civies. You just know a military unit when you see one, civies or not. Always a great city. Climbed the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral to the lantern at the top, up suspended helical stairway inside the dome. Wow.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
St. Marty-in-the-Field is a favorite. Your experiences are what makes London even greater than the incredible history, architecture and culture there.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I would love to go on a hunt for estate pipes in England.
Same!
I've been to Europe once but did not make it to England. I definitely will next time, though rather than London I'm thinking more along the lines of a little village like the the Cotswolds. Probably won't find any estate pipes, but am confident I'd find a great pub or two :puffy:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've asked in dozens of antique stores in and around London, no luck at all. Perhaps I was barking up the wrong trees, so if anyone has a clue on this, please post!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've asked in dozens of antique stores in and around London, no luck at all. Perhaps I was barking up the wrong trees, so if anyone has a clue on this, please post!
You may have to visit the small country villages outside of London.

Status
Not open for further replies.