PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
I was at an estate sale and ran into these 2 pipes. I liked how they looked and the price seemed reasonable after a bit of haggling. Should I clean them the same as briar pipes?
5DwT9q.jpg

5k2pNJ.jpg

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I would, and do, with my meers: Hot water rinse through the bowl, out the stem. Paper towel dry the chamber, Q-tip in mortise, and pipe cleaner up the airway. Works every time.

Jan 10, 2014
If you are "into" history, CAO stands for Cano (pronounced john-no) A. Ozgener. He is/was a Columbia University educated Turkish mechanical engineer of Armenian ancestry. His family left the meerschaum pipe business to pursue what was at the time the more lucrative cigar industry where CAO became, and remains, a powerhouse. Ozgener began making meerschaum pipes because he was dissatisfied by poor way they smoked. (He owns over 2,000 pipes.) With his engineering background added to his passion, you can expect your pipe to smoke effortlessly.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
CAO's carving wasn't always the greatest, but they used high-quality block, had a good draw, and smoked well. I think these are nice. Is the bottom one also CAO? I canalways spot that mustard-yellow case lining CAO used, but I can't see the lower pipe's case well enough to tell whether it's the same, or whether it has the more glossy tan-brown lining used by countless 90s-and-newer meerschaum companies (including CAO, after they switched from the yellow color).

Status
Not open for further replies.