PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I found affordable pipes from those brands and all of them cost near the same thing ($45-47.50).
How would you rate those brands / pipe makers?
Here are some links/pictures
Ropp

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Ropp/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=317085

002-598-6616.4920.jpg

T. Cristiano

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=305344

004-006-22212.4625.jpg

Amphora

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/misc/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=281867

004-008-5024.5253.jpg

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I have three Rops and love all of em. Given their price point I would not hesitate to get more if the need arose.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Amphora pipes are made by Gubbels. The same company that makes Hilson, Big Ben, and the Al Pascia Curvy pipes. Thomas Cristiano started out making pipes for Kaywoodie before leaving and starting his own brand.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
If I had to choose one of those three, I would choose the Ropp. Have you considered a Rossi? I believe they're made by Savinelli and I love my Savinellis.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I am partial to bent pipes, saddle stems, & sand-blasted more than rusticated, so I would chose the ROPP by appearance alone. However, deeply bent pipes are more prone to gurgling & may not easily pass a pipe cleaner, if at all.
That said, I own 3 ROPPs, one La Cosaque (appropriately) & two La Montagnardes, all full-bent, smooth finish with tapered horn stems that are 75-100+ years old. They are beautiful pipes & fine smokers.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Embers

Thomas Cristiano started out making pipes for Kaywoodie before leaving and starting his own brand.

Are his pipes good? I mean, is he considered a good pipemaker? I found this one incredibly beautiful.
scloyd

Have you considered a Rossi? I believe they're made by Savinelli and I love my Savinellis.

Yes, they're a subsidiary of Savinelli and also make beautiful pipes, I've found one for $35.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I've owned a Cristiano Rhodesian for 20 years. I love it! I bought another a couple of years ago and it was a total dog. I sent it back. If you find a good one, great! But there are lots of not-so-good ones out there.
The Ropps are good for the money. I have a newer and an older one. Neither one would ever be mistaken for a $400 English pipe but they are good functioning pipes for little money.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think those three are good smokeable pipes. You can always draw a lemon, but not often with those. I have a Ropp; the draw is a little more tight than my Sav's, Petes, or Dr. Grabows, but it's a nice sturdy little briar, and with it's red stain, snappy looking too. When you get a good low-end-priced pipe, often it smokes about as well as anything. I still treasure my higher end pipes, feel an extra rush of pride when I pack them and polish them. But the work horses also do the job, and I appreciate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.