PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Black XX is really not that strong, and the smoking lamb fat taste mostly goes away if you shag cut it and let it dry to a crisp, then it becomes a very nice and spicy Virginia. Gawith's brown ropes are noticeably stronger and overall much tastier for my tastes than the black. Rustica is also stronger, and Motzek's Dark Twist (1:1 Perique/Kentucky) blows anything else I've smoked it out the water in terms of strength.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke my pipe tobacco for flavor, never strength. I have tried the XX Black, the Brown no 4 and both tasted like I was smoking a barbecue flavored meat. I gave both away and never looked back. The only blend in my cellar that could be considered somewhat strong is Peterson Irish Flake and that isn't a nicotine monster.
I never smoked cigars for strength either. Wrapper flavor from a 1984 Fuente Don Carlos Lancero, that is serious flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Haven't tried XX, but I like Five Brothers, both straight and with other blends, but I think it is good to approach strong blends with respect, in a partial bowl or small bowl pipe, after an ample meal and when well hydrated (you, not the tobacco). I don't think we score any points getting sick on nicotine. Size up a blend or single leaf and see how you do.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Yum! I was gifted some Black XX a while ago. It's a good smoke, although best enjoyed in small bowls. That earthy, meaty flavor, along with a sizable spicy throat tickle, is just perfect when the mood strikes.

Haven't tried 5 brothers yet, but when I want a stronger smoke, I generally tend to gravitate towards the GHC/Sam Gawith offerings, so I'll probably pass.

Reactions: kurtbob and cory84
You should try Dark Flake unscented. I like it a lot better than these two. It still has a touch of flavor to it, but it adds a cosmopolitan taste, IMO. And, if you really like DF unscented, give the scented a try. I have to be in the mood, but it's not bad.
Also, Birdseye is a really good blend too. The problem is just finding these blends available.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I really struggled through a one ounce sample of the black rope. Before I tried it, I'd heard people mention a burnt plastic taste and thought it was typical pipesmoker hyperbole. But then I smoked it, and well, I kind of agreed. I did get more used to it, but could never find much affection for it. Hope you enjoy it more than I did. I do like the brown ropes, though.

And Dark Flake U/S is one of my absolute favorite tobaccos. Like Cosmic, I have to be in the mood for it, but the scented version is a fun change of pace when I am.

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
You should try Dark Flake unscented. I like it a lot better than these two. It still has a touch of flavor to it, but it adds a cosmopolitan taste, IMO. And, if you really like DF unscented, give the scented a try. I have to be in the mood, but it's not bad.
Also, Birdseye is a really good blend too. The problem is just finding these blends available.
How do you find the difference between the dark flake u/s and the Birds eye?....... I prefer the birds eye for some reason although they are very similar.

How do you find the difference between the dark flake u/s and the Birds eye?....... I prefer the birds eye for some reason although they are very similar.
If I understand you, you find DF and Birds Eye to taste the same? I find Birds Eye to be more burleyish, maybe a tad harsher tasting, woody with a tough of a deeper seeetness. Whereas, DFu has more variety in the leaf blend, nutty, earthy, maybe a touch of woodsy, with a more pronounced sweetness, like a molasses. I still get the Lakeland scent in the unscented, but all together it is more cigarish, like a dark wrapped Italian cigar.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've hesitated to try XX. Everyone saying that it tastes like steak-char and road tar has left me very uninterested, lmao
It's really more in the middle. More like burnt olive oil. Not burnt like burnt toast but more like the thin outer burnt layer of charbroiled meat.

I can understand why some people like it but I don't care for it much. Happy brown bogie is a much better, and fantastic, option for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.