PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Is this a Dublin or a Yacht?

The bowl is a Dublin, but the shank is oval.

I’m of the opinion all Briarlee pipes were intended to be four or five star grade Lees, but initial turning revealed surface flaws in extremely high grade briar that caused them to be finished out as a push stem Briarlee, sometimes with carving.

In any event, this high condition pipe was $25 delivered, from eBay.

I can’t get enough Lee pipes, at these prices.

I’ve never seen a spoon Lee stinger before, but it’s rare to ever find two Lees with the same stinger, anyway.

I think different stingers, was what made the stamp “Limited Edition” on Star Grade Lee pipes mean something other than limited to how many that Lee could sell.:)

BA565DDE-9689-4CCF-876E-A5FD40CC0061.pngE972D6D3-7F74-4437-A2A7-EAE1E457127D.png

I’d say it’s a Dublin. Dublin is the family of cone shaped bowls. A yacht is a Dublin with a canted forward bowl. The stem on a Dublin can be oval, diamond, or even a saddle bit, and still be a Dublin. That one doesn’t have enough of a forward cant to the bowl to be a yacht…. IMO. But, pipemakers seem to be calling pipes whatever these days.

Nice pipe though. Dublins and bullies are what I collect.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Oval shank? My suspicion, given the one picture of the stem, is that it used to have just a little bend in it, and that would put the pipe in the zulu/yacht category.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Little to no forward cant of the bowl and the chamber appears conical, so I say dublin. Zulus have cylindrical and U shaped chambers.

Reactions: Briar Lee