PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SaxonX

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2021
Staffordshire Moorlands GB
Well strictly speaking he also does a lot of much lower brow work than his more classical pipe poems ? - this chap is a Chaplain at Cambridge and a broadcaster and author. He is also a 'character' and a long time pipe smoker who has a youtube site with a number of pipe related discussions such as this one

If you enjoy this, he has many more......

Regards

SaxonX

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
This guy has charisma out the ass. He's usually sitting in his office when someone taps on the door and he invites them in. You'll never see the other guy and you won't hear him say a thing. Then our hero spends 10-15 minutes talking to the guy about some now obscure poet and his work. It sounds very boring but it's a lot of fun.

SaxonX

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2021
Staffordshire Moorlands GB
This guy has charisma out the ass. He's usually sitting in his office when someone taps on the door and he invites them in. You'll never see the other guy and you won't hear him say a thing. Then our hero spends 10-15 minutes talking to the guy about some now obscure poet and his work. It sounds very boring but it's a lot of fun.
He's done a good one called (I think) A pint and a pipe....... very olde English discussion on Inns and pubs, as you say vey charismati!

pipesandscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2010
Northeast PA
Well strictly speaking he also does a lot of much lower brow work than his more classical pipe poems ? - this chap is a Chaplain at Cambridge and a broadcaster and author. He is also a 'character' and a long time pipe smoker who has a youtube site with a number of pipe related discussions such as this one

If you enjoy this, he has many more......

Regards

SaxonX
Thank you for sharing that. Made my Sunday morning coffee and pipe much more enjoyable, and a great way to start the day!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
My wife and I just enjoyed that video and a couple of his recitations at the dining room table while eating brunch - fascinating guy. She found a pic on Twitter from many, many years ago - we weren't a bit surprised after listening to him talk about Dylan and sing a song. Pretty cool.
A68952A0-2D91-4EC7-8649-E04316DC18F4.jpeg

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
In the pipe and pint vid I noticed he packed that pipe with years of practice, seemed to push it down pretty firmly, no "charring light", puff, puff, puff, heck at a few points I could hear the air being sucked through his pipe, lol. And . . . it works! It was like the opposite of everything I've tried to practice by reading the tips on how to do it. So many ways to skin a cat, so to speak.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The long ago pic: He looks like a 15 year old with full beard!

Unfortunately for me: Reminds me of a very sick fellow who's been in jail a long time. Also charismatic to some.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
My wife and I just enjoyed that video and a couple of his recitations at the dining room table while eating brunch - fascinating guy. She found a pic on Twitter from many, many years ago - we weren't a bit surprised after listening to him talk about Dylan and sing a song. Pretty cool.
View attachment 106133
ooh err; that's pretty much how I looked when I was 19!

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Smoke Rings From My Pipe

All the long day's weariness is done I'm free at last to do just as I will Take out my pipe, admire the setting sun Practice the art of simply sitting still Thank God I have this briar bowl to fill, I leave the world with all its hopeless hype, Its pressures, and its ever-ringing till, And let it go in smoke rings from my pipe The hustle and the bustle, these I shun The tasks that trouble and the cares that kill, The false idea that there's a race to run, The pushing of that weary stone uphill, The wretched i-phone's all-insistent trill, Whingers and whiners, each with their own gripe, I pack them in tobacco leaves until They're blown away in smoke rings from my pipe And then at last my real work is begun, My chance to chant, to exercise the skill Of summoning the muses, one by one, To meet me in their temple, touch my quill (I have a pen but quills are better still) And when the soul is full, the time is ripe Kindle the fire of poetry that will Breathe and expand like smoke-rings from my pipe Prince I have done with grinding at the mill, These petty-pelting tyrants aren't my type, So lift me up and set me on a hill, A free man blowing smoke rings from his pipe.

~ Malcolm Guite