PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
I know a lot of people run down molto dolce, but I like it, and I smoke what I like lol. So I was wondering is there a bulk blend that is similar to molto dolce?

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Molto Dolce is my go to, in fact, I rarely have something different in my pipe. That being said, I have heard (never tried, mind you) that if you cut in some Lane 1Q you can double (or triple depending on how dilute you can tolerate it) a can of Molto.
Now, to your question...P&C offers quite a large selection of bulk Sutliff blends. The closest I've found to Molto is their Creme Brulee blend (Creme Brulee). The disclaimer I have, is that Creme Brulee is the closest tasting bulk blend I've found to Molto. It is in no way a replacement for Molto, but it might be worth your time to try.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
By the way, the (Creme Brulee) in my previous post is a link to the P&C page for Creme Brulee. Sorry if that was unclear.

guitrsnglocks

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2015
@sean81: thAnks a lot I will definetely be giving it a try. It seems I've heard that before that creme brûlée was close but couldn't remember the exact name of the blend

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
Just finished a bowl of Sutliff Creme Brulee and found it a little wet. Think I'll give it a few days to dry out. Would like to try Molto Dolce but haven't been able to find it in any of the local cigar shops that sell pipe tobacco. I will have to order online from someone who ships to Washington State and has reasonable prices.

When I listened to the PM radio show with Paul Creasy, owner of Sutliff, he talked about how Molto Dolce was designed with extra topping sprayed on, and that it was meant to be smoked wet. It is supposedly designed to smoke well that way. And, when you dry it, you loose the whole flavor profile for it.
To me, this doesn't mean that you "have" to smoke it wet, but it might be worth a try. Personally, I don't like manufacturers and businessmen telling me how to use their product, but on this one, I think Mr. Creasy is spot on.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Ryan, Molto Dolce is very wet. I like it also, but it requires drying. It is one which many guys refer to as goopy, this may be due to not drying it out sufficiently, however it will still be damp in the bottom of the bole. It does not bite, has a room note many women like very much, and has a decent flavor. It has been the topic of complaints about not being available in bulk for a number of years. That is not an uncommon complaint about any number of tinned tobaccos. :) I see where P&C does not ship to WA not sure about SP.
Woops, Did not see Michaels post.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Creme Brulee is the closest you'll get to Molto Dulce. I also recommend Sutliff's Vanilla Custard. Tastes a little like Boston Creme Pie, which is one of my favorite desserts.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
This Molto Dolce sounds good, and I second Jimlinks on Vanilla Custard, I'm not sure if its like MD but its very thick, creamy and vanilla.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Hearing those descriptions of aromatics reminds me why I don't smoke them. "Extra casing sprayed on" "supposed to be smoked wet". LOL! Why not just stuff a wad of liqueur-soaked TP in a pipe and set fire to it? And btw I DO like a blend that smokes sweet and has a nice aroma. Like 1931 flake or similar. A tobacco doesn't need to be drowned in sugar syrup to be aromatic.

has a room note many women like very much,

meme9_zps9f46282e.jpg

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
Looks like Smokingpipes.com will ship to WA while others don't. Still going to shop around for the best prices on product and shipping. Shutterbugg, not to worry I enjoy all types of tobacco (though some more than others) just depends on the situation. Planning on getting some flakes next time I go to the tobacconist.

Status
Not open for further replies.