PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I slept terribly last night and when the morning came I decided to start the day with something stout to pair with my much needed coffee. After rummaging through my cellar I settled on a tin of Irish Flake that I purchased back in 2014.

This was the first time I have tried this blend and it really hit the spot. Strong enough to get my morning started off right and it paired wonderfully with my morning coffee. In many ways Irish Flake reminded me of HH Old Dark Fired...the smell, strength, and slow burn.

Irish Flake moved into my Top 3 list of morning stout blends. Not sure how this blend has changed today, both in terms of aging and the blend itself, if at all, but I'll probably be buying another five tins or so to have on hand when the need for some Vitamin N arises.

Anyone else here an Irish Flake fan?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
You had a 7 year old (at least) tin sitting around and you'd never tried it? Man, you have more discipline than I do ? My first encounters with Irish Flake back in 2015 and 2016 were pretty meh. But I decided to revisit it last year, and now I really like it a lot. I especially enjoy that subtle malty flavor it has, and as someone who smokes high octane blends in the morning, the stuff has the strength I need. Oh yeah, and it is pretty easy to find and relatively affordable for a tinned tobacco! Just an all around winner.

And it absolutely goes wonderfully with coffee.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Good to know. That is news to me. Thanks.
I just finished a tin with of Stirling after months of smoking Irish Flake, and I thought any differences were very minimal. Maybe a bit brighter VA leaf in the Stirling, just based on appearance when rubbed out. In terms of strength and flavor, including any added casings and/or toppings, nearly identical, IMO. Both are different than my recollection of the tins of Irish Flake I had back 5 or 6 years ago. Not sure if that was K&K or STG at that point, but they were square tins. That version had a more prominent topping and was not as strong in terms of nicotine. I much prefer the current version of IF and Stirling to that older product, or at least my memories of it. Just my 2 cents, anyway. Try the Stirling for yourself and see what you think.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I just finished a tin with of Stirling after months of smoking Irish Flake, and I thought any differences were very minimal. Maybe a bit brighter VA leaf in the Stirling, just based on appearance when rubbed out. In terms of strength and flavor, including any added casings and/or toppings, nearly identical, IMO. Both are different than my recollection of the tins of Irish Flake I had back 5 or 6 years ago. Not sure if that was K&K or STG at that point, but they were square tins. That version had a more prominent topping and was not as strong in terms of nicotine. I much prefer the current version of IF and Stirling to that older product, or at least my memories of it. Just my 2 cents, anyway. Try the Stirling for yourself and see what you think.
Square tins would’ve been K&K. I don’t think STG made any Peterson blends in square tins, but I could be wrong. My perception of the old vs new is exactly opposite ?
I thought the new had a more obvious topping, was a little more Virginia-forward, and was more tame than the older stuff. That’s funny ?‍♂️

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.