PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
This morning, early in the AM, a buddy calls me and tells me he is at an estate sale, and they had a set of pipes. He knows I enjoy pipes, sends me a video of the set. In the video, they all look in pretty good condition so he tells me a price the guy is asking. I tell him my max for the lot. He haggled and got them significantly less than my price. I'm over joyed that I was about to add 4 new pipes to the collection. I meet up with him; out of the 4, there is one that is beautiful. Silver ring, sand blasted and in great shape and I'm really excited. We Have a couple beers and I thank him for looking out for me. I drove home, excited. I get home and start to inspect them and start to clean them up. Two of them have seen better days. The previous owner chewed the stems quite hard, hard enough to put a hole in the stem near the button. Not a big deal I think to myself, I can fix that if I like how they smoke. I inspect the other one. At then bottom of the bowl there is a largish spot that looks like it's the start of a burn out, and the finish has definitely seen better days. Ok, but still not a huge loss if it burns out and I can just strip the finish, but I like the shape and it probably will be a good smoke. Then my excitement swells. I go to remove the stem from the sandblasted one. It's in pristine condition, no char around the rim, the finish looks well kept, this must have been his favorite pipe. The only flaw I can see is the stem is badly oxidized. Not a big deal. Nothing oxiclean and sandpaper cant fix. I try to remove the stem. It barely budged. I'm thinking to myself, ok its stuck on there good. Go slow, dont use a lot of pressure. She starts to turn ever so slightly and it starts to separate from the shank. I sigh a sigh of relief. I turn it a hair more. SNAP. I hear a wooden clank on the ground. I look down, I have the bowl in my right hand, and the stem in the other. On the floor, is a chunk of the mortis. I wheep softly.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
20190811_150933-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. Estate/yard/garage sales you can't do by proxy, it seems. But it was commendable of you to take the shot. You might have a new stem done if it is worth it. It wouldn't be much.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
*update* well even tho one of the lot broke, this is what one looks like after a Sunday of cleaning and a day of sitting looks like. I actually really liked the way this one turned out. I stripped the finish (it was in bad shape) with some alcohol and cleaned the stem and the cake build up, had a nice alcohol bath. But aside from its looks she is smoking like a dream. After cleaning up I can read the maker. It says "Edward's Algerian briar". Not totally fermiler with them, but I'm impressed. If the other 2 of the lot are as good as this one, then the one that broke isnt that huge a loss
20190812_173635-600x450.jpg

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
Update number 3.
I'm breaking in the last of my fairly resent purchase, And even after all the work of cleaning there still remains a ghost of whatever the last owner smoked in here...but I love the flavor of whatever it was. It makes me wish I could talk to him and get some tobacco recommendations. It's making the LBF I'm smoking taste almost like an entirely new blend. Hints of vanilla and honey, a little bit of cinnamon/nutmeg type flavor. It's a friendly ghost I hope that stays with me a long time. Here's to you pipe guy, where ever you are, you smoked a mighty tasty blend

Status
Not open for further replies.