A Bit of Meerschaum Color During Lock Down!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I thought the forum would interested in the progress I have made coloring this meerschaum pipe during our 'Nation Lock Down'. The first picture was taken about ten days ago when I decided to smoke this pipe aggressively since it had been sitting around for years. I reamed the pipe and put in a new 'Philt Pad' and loaded it up with some nice fresh Brown Twist and after two weeks of smoking it on and off the results speak for themselves.

thumbnail.jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

Attachments

• thumbnail-1.jpeg
    thumbnail-1.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 48

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Those cutties are indeed dope as hell, I’ve been trying to find a good one on ebay for a while but its tough. How many bowls would you say you put through to influence that much color change?

Reactions: rushx9

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@alaskanpiper: About 20 to 30 bowls with a 'Philt Pad' will get the coloring process started. If find the best results are achieved with Brown Twist since you need a tobacco with a little moisture to really get things moving and to react with the 'Philt Pad' at the bottom of the bowl. Patience is the main requirement for finding 'cutty' pipes and accepting that whatever you buy will need a trip to Briarville to render it totally serviceable.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
@alaskanpiper: About 20 to 30 bowls with a 'Philt Pad' will get the coloring process started. If find the best results are achieved with Brown Twist since you need a tobacco with a little moisture to really get things moving and to react with the 'Philt Pad' at the bottom of the bowl. Patience is the main requirement for finding 'cutty' pipes and accepting that whatever you buy will need a trip to Briarville to render it totally serviceable.
Ok, time to put my ignorance on display again. What is a “Philt Pad”?

I’ve already got one I need to send to briarville so when I find one or two more I’ll fire them off in a group. Thanks!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
A product sold by Sharrow Mills - www.sharrowmills.com that goes at the bottom of your pipe. It causes all the oils, shit and anything else to collect underneath the 'Philt Pad' and as the meerschaum heats up all the crap gets absorbed into the meerschaum leading to color. Its the same idea as a coloring bowl or the silver button at the bottom of the bowl.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
A product sold by Sharrow Mills - www.sharrowmills.com that goes at the bottom of your pipe. It causes all the oils, shit and anything else to collect underneath the 'Philt Pad' and as the meerschaum heats up all the crap gets absorbed into the meerschaum leading to color. Its the same idea as a coloring bowl or the silver button at the bottom of the bowl.
Copy, thanks!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
A mercury head silver dime will do the job similarly. Coin buffs will usually sell a defaced one for next to nothing. You can either drill a hole through the middle or file a few notches around the sides for best airflow.

Reactions: 3rdguy

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
On the topic of coloring bowls, I’ve found them to even out the coloring, but not to speed it up.

Never heard of philt pads or the dime trick before. Interesting. Always something to learn.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
He is another shot of the same pipe 2 1/2 weeks later. As you can see the change on the shank is profound and it has now gone completely brown with a very small white patch showing. The color is also now spreading past the foot of the pipe. I expect the bottom half of the bowl to slowly color to match the stem over the next few months.

thumbnail.jpeg

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.