Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014

Interesting offers or trades considered.

Here is a beautiful example of Peterson's skill with silver-work. This "150" Bulldog is part of the limited run Amber Spigot series.

It is clad in sterling silver for both rim cap and spigot mount to create a stunning piece of craftsmanship.

Each piece of silver on the pipe (Cap, Shank, Amber Stem, and P-Lip stem) is hallmarked with "925" and "Peterson Dublin" to guarantee authenticity of the silver and Peterson's work.

The Amber stem has a traditional button on the mouth piece, while the extra acrylic stem is a P-lip stem.

As you would expect from a pipe of this high end quality line, the drilling of the shank is perfect.

Condition is used, but very good.

Approximate Measurements

With acrylic stem:

Length: 6.33 in. Weight: 1.7 oz.
Weight: 1.66 oz./47.17 g.
Bowl Height: 1.88 in./47.75 mm.
Chamber Depth: 1.39 in./35.31 mm.
Chamber Diameter: 0.80 in./20.32 mm.
Outside Diameter: 1.61 in./40.89 mm.

With amber stem:

Length: 6.04 in./153.42 mm.

Price: $560
Free shipping in North America

For an interested buyer, I am willing to privately confirm my ID with photo ID for added security.

Pipe smokes great (both stems). Selling because my collection is currently focused on another brand. As for Peterson's, this is one of the juiciest pipes I've seen in a long time and it's a gem for a collector of the brand.

Attachments

• s-l500-4.jpg
    s-l500-4.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 3
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 3

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Too bad about no polls in sales ads! I thought it would have been fun for the community to decide if this is a piece of junk or worthy of some consideration.

I haven't seen many polls in the forums, so I put in this light hearted one for fun.

Now, back to business.

I've been on the fence about selling this pipe. It's certainly the flashiest pipe in my collection of rather standard shapes and finishes.

It gets the most comments from friends who visit and see it gleaming on the pipe rack. The silver work draws the eye and then the amber is the "holy shit, what is THAT?"

They all reach for it and pick it up to examine the silver and amber. It almost caused a non smoking friend of mine to take up the pipe! I told him roughly what my whole collection was worth and he had enough sense to stop while he was ahead.

Only real trouble has been that since I frequently travel, I don't take this pipe with me. The amber stem is not overly delicate (that I can tell), but since it is the show of this piece -in my opinion- I've been protective of it. Even in carry on with a good pipe case, I just don't trust airlines and rough travel with a pipe of this nature.

I have been most focused on Danish carvers, which is the the bulk of my collection. And that's what sort of pushed me into the idea of selling or trading this. I can confirm that it's an excellent smoker with no gurgle or any kind of weirdness with both stems. It's been a dedicated virginia flake pipe, with not much use on account of me being away for much of the time since I got it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A most handsome pipe! This is one that features a real amber stem, made a century or more ago, from a cache of unused amber stems that turned up in a corner of the Peterson pipeworks a couple of years ago?

If no one here ponies up the cash and you're determined to sell it elsewhere, such as eBay, might I suggest a different descriptor than "juicy"? A juicy smoking pipe doesn't sound all that attractive.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Yes, it has gotten the silver treatment from Peterson, from which they are pretty well known by people in the know. There are a number of pipes similar to this that I have seen over the years (rim cap, etc.), but most of them are in nickel. Very, very few come with sterling silver and a genuine amber stem.

This one is sterling silver, and stamped as such. Nothing against nickel, but it's just in a different category here.

Their spigot line with rim caps, wind caps, spigot, etc. in genuine silver tend to be more expensive and stand apart from the regular offerings from Peterson. Perhaps people don't see them as often when browsing for the "workhorse" Pete that is most commonly found here.

This pipe isn't one of those workhorses. It's a collector's piece from Peterson that is quite rare and only getting more so as people break those amber stems.

It is one of the pipes from the hidden amber stash in the pipe factory, sable. I guess that makes it a lost treasure now found! If it doesn't sell or trade for a reasonable price/pipe, I will just keep it in my collection and see what happens in 20-30 years.

I don't know when, but I do know that eventually these pipes will become even more sought after. There's just nothing else like it in Peterson's line, and being so limited in production, it's only a matter of time until they're effectively gone from the market.

Particularly pieces like this, which have a larger than usual amber stem from what has been put out by Peterson. Hell, I'm talking myself out of selling it already.

You're probably right about "juicy." I must have had Cosmo Kramer in my head at the time. I don't expect to make a sale on a site like this, for this particular pipe, but put up a thread anyway because you never know.

You should have seen it earlier. It even had a voting poll and everything! But that was one step too many over the line for the solemn for sale section.

I wanted a carnival, but what we got was a funeral.

Mercy. I'm going to switch to a career in sales copy. I can just feel I've got the magic touch!

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
I guess it is better to take this one down. I'll go sell it elsewhere... without humour. The added poll that was taken away by the moderators really tied it together. Could have been fun, regardless of if it sold or not. Oh well... I tried.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Folks, I'm closing this one for now. The sales section is simply for selling. The mods have to monitor every post in these two sections. "SOLD, please delete" has to be viewed the same as "cool pipe". Last year, the replies in both sections was over 70,000 replies and most of those were on point. IF every sales thread became a discussion about the virtues of a particular pipe - can you imagine how difficult that would be? That is why the rules section has this:
Please complete any offers or bartering via Private Message. Pipe or tobacco discussions should be completed in those sections, not in the Buy/Sell/Trade area.

This is a great pipe - by all mean start a discussion on the British Pipes section

I hope this explanation is helpful and we appreciate everyone's cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.