PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Single k
Single k sized Castellos are relatively scarce in Europe, I have not seen any advertised for several months. Almost unknown in the US. A new k 55 was on eBay a month or so ago, an Old Antiquari, and brought more than Italian retail, but then no shop in Italy with a web presence had any 55's.
Yes, Castello can make a light pipe. Bollito put six up Sunday, five sold within the first few hours. The one they have left has nice birds eye. I have never seen a shop have more than one or two at any given time.
They make a range smaller than this, the Castelline, and charge more.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks for that. I bought the other trademark. I have another pipe from David. I've been waiting for one of those and it couldnt have come from a better retailer.
Thanks bud.

Oct 7, 2016
I have had a few dealings with him, extremely satisfactory (the same goes for the other two Italian shops that sponsor this site.). If those had been 14's with the typical 75 bit, I am sure I would have bought at least one!
You have a fine pipe, highly collectible IMO, at a good price. Enjoy.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very interesting, I don't think that I have ever seen a single K pipe.

I almost bought a Castelline last year from Neat Pipes, then I looked at the specs a bit closer and realized it was almost a miniature pipe.

I'd love to find a KK sized Shape 65 (about 40 grams).

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Bit of a gap on that last one, that's why it remains safe from me. Cute pipes. I've noticed that every few months bolitto gets a shipment of someone's "project" pipes from Castello. I think it's great to see a bit of creativity on their end.

Oct 7, 2016
Al, they are out there but not seen very often, which is why I posted. There are a few Castellines for sale at other Italian sites that aren't that much smaller than the run of single K's we are discussing, but some of the ones I have seen in the past are miniatures.

Oct 7, 2016
Whitewolf, Coppo will make what the market demands. Years ago, 10's were rarely seen. Then suddenly (it seemed) they were everywhere.

Oct 7, 2016
There are those of us who think pipes with a Holland Tunnel draw are not progress, but I take your point, whitewolf.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cool. Brands seem to play up their heavier pipes, or maybe the retailers do, because they can ask higher prices. Once you find you can get some long smokes with flake/plug/coin/rope in smaller, lighter weight pipes, their appeal increases. They're easy to clench and easier to carry. I love some of my XL pipes, but the small ones are plenty useful.

duffer

Lurker
Mar 7, 2017
I have two Castello's. both are very large. One is a Sea Rock KKKK and the other is a Pot that could double as a bird bath

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always wondered why Castello pipes were all in the heavier category, beautiful as they are. So, it turns out it's not that they are all heavier, but that the heavier pipes are marketed in the U.S. Interesting too that the smaller, lighter weight pipes are actually priced high in the Castello line. The thinking in the pipe business is intricate, esoteric and surprising. Not wanting to "go" the Castello prices, I bought a thick-walled, big bowled blast billiard, a Luciano, to fill that niche, a really nice pipe, and nicer (in some way) now that apparently Luciano has ceased production. You can't get new ones any more, except for old inventory or unsmoked estates.

Oct 7, 2016
@mso489, they aren't all heavy even if they are large. I just finished smoking a 55 smooth that would be a G if they had graded it by size. A really good sized one, easily would be a group 6 or OA if Dunhill made a clone of it. Weight was 57 g'day even with a factory silver band. And it has a button that even ssjones would approve of. Well, maybe.
The pipes in the size range of this thread are priced less, finish for finish, than larger ones. The ones that are priced higher are what are termed Castellenes, which are true miniatures. And none of us really know precisely what the US importer brings in, as the only ones I see are at dealers with a web presence. There are some shops around the country that have a strong Castello trade with customers who have specific wants. We never see the pipes they pick out, unless the customer puts it on the estate market.
If you want to shop by weight, which I think ought to be a factor, you can cherry pick light Castello's in every size range. One of the reasons I like Old Antiquari's (sandblasts) is because bowls with tight, dense straight or cross grain that are featherlight turn up with some regularity. Oops, I guess I will have more competition now.
And Luciano made a good pipe. Enjoy!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
And it has a button that even ssjones would approve of. Well, maybe.
2932158385_e9c0414e16_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.