PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
I've been looking for a converter to change 9mm filtered pipes to 6mm filters. I have 6mm filters for a couple of my cobs. Some of my other pipes use 9mm. I don't want to buy 3 different filters. I also have Brigham filters.

Now I know the make adapters to remove the filters. But I have non filtered pipes for that. I want to use the filtered pipes for wet tobacco. I found 1 place in Africa that sells converters.

Please, for all that's holy, please tell me they sell them in the US, CA, UK, or EU.

I can get them from Africa, but their CC system is down so there will be a series of emails, and phone calls. The emails is to make sure its not going to cost me $30 to buy a $1 piece.

I'll probably buy 5-10 and maybe a couple other things to make it worth the shipping. They have a lighter I like for $13. $175 in ZAR. The converters are $15 ZAR each which is about $1.20 US. (I've rounded the costs).

I've searched the usual tobacco shops, eBay, Amazon, Google, and I'm stuck. I'm considering asking some of the tobacco shops if they can order me 5-10 and I'll spend $20 or more to make ordering and shipping worth it. For me and them.

The other thing I've considered is just buying some 9mm filter adapters and drilling them out for 6mm filters.

But I'd rather buy what I need instead of going around my ass to get to my elbow.

Thanks

Jun 27, 2016
Try using your 6mm filters. That's all I use anymore in my 9mm pipes. I eventually started making my own out of square balsa stock, cutting lengths & splitting those in half, & "tuning" them for better flow by adding the diagonal cuts & the channels. Cutting the diagonals as shown below also prevents the ends from slipping into any chamfers or the draft-hole, which will happen if you cut them the other way. Then I'll add the center channels with a round file. Finally I'll sand the bottom & side edges for fitment. I usually sand across the top plane & the ends as well, just to smooth & square it all off a little better, since the razor doesn't always do a good job. I'd like to make a "splitting jig" so I can split them more quickly & accurately. It's not uncommon for me to get only one useable half, when I could probably get both every time with a jig.
IMG_1905.JPG
IMG_1906.JPG
IMG_1911.JPG

This is how I load them, with the cleaner holding it in place:
IMG_1907.JPG

I can also still pass the cleaner.
IMG_1910.JPG
puffy

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
9mm is awfully close to 3/8“, and 6mm is really close to 1/4". I can't help but wonder if there's a 3/8" OD pipe with an 1/8" pipe wall that would do exactly what you're looking for. Maybe a toilet feed water tube.

Rigidman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2020
Richmond VA. Vicinity.
Both ideas are really good. They make these adapters for a few bucks that changes filter pipes to non filter. It makes it so none of the juices collect in the void left by not using the filter. I have a bunch if medico filters I bought for my cobs. But then I saw a video of someone drilling the cobs so the stem is flush with the bottom of the bowl. So eventually I want to try that.

I love smoking my cobs. I use one just for Virginia's. The other is for vaper. I saw a cob on eBay I really liked, its really fancy for a cob and its under $20 but it uses 9mm filters. Thought about just putting 2 filters together because they're basically just paper filters. But they work really well. I use them twice and chuck them.

The adapters are made by Vauen and Savenelli. I think the converter is too. But only place that sells it is in Africa. But I was working the measurements and if I'm careful I can drill the adapter and make it work. But if I can just take the pipe to the hardware stores plumbing department and find something that will work is way better. I like easy and simple. Hard to screw that up.

After I run out of filters I'm going to give the balsa wood thing a try. I'm pretty sure I can just drill it and file groves like the Vauen balsa filters have. I've heard good things about their filters. Wonder if I can find some dowels in rock maple?

Status
Not open for further replies.