PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
I've tried several brands, multiple smokes each with various pipes and blends. I find there is some variation in width between brands. Some notes:

1. Thinnest is Vauen
2. Thickest is White Elephant

White Elephants are so thick, they do not fit in some pipe brands.
Ideally, filter should fit snugly. I find filters expand somewhat in width during a smoke. Probably due to absorbed moisture.
I think it's OK to use a "too narrow" filter without fear of unfiltered smoke reaching the mouth because breath draws the filter tight against the mouthpiece air hole opening.

I find them all of good quality with one exception:

3. Dr Pearl Junior -- I tossed my remaining stock after becoming convinced they do not filter as well as the others. I believe this is the oldest, and original brand.

Best value:

4. Scotte on Amazon -- I believe these are made in China. I find the quality to be as good as any. Perhaps all brands are made in China?

Please add notes from your experience with various brands.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
I've tried several brands, multiple smokes each with various pipes and blends. I find there is some variation in width between brands. Some notes:

1. Thinnest is Vauen
2. Thickest is White Elephant

White Elephants are so thick, they do not fit in some pipe brands.
Ideally, filter should fit snugly. I find filters expand somewhat in width during a smoke. Probably due to absorbed moisture.
I think it's OK to use a "too narrow" filter without fear of unfiltered smoke reaching the mouth because breath draws the filter tight against the mouthpiece air hole opening.

I find them all of good quality with one exception:

3. Dr Pearl Junior -- I tossed my remaining stock after becoming convinced they do not filter as well as the others. I believe this is the oldest, and original brand.

Best value:

4. Scotte on Amazon -- I believe these are made in China. I find the quality to be as good as any. Perhaps all brands are made in China?

Please add notes from your experience with various brand
Interesting how different smokers have different preferences. I rather like the Vauen Dr. Perl filters. I also like the Jean Claude filters. They’re good value.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty

Can't Leave
Apr 13, 2023
United States
Interesting how different smokers have different preferences. I rather like the Vauen Dr. Perl filters. I also like the Jean Claude filters. They’re good value.
MY MISTAKE. Thank you for correction. I have edited my original post.
Vauen = Dr. Pearl Junior
BLITZ is the brand I find to be inferior.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I dont find that my Vauen filters put up to the stem when drawing. They generally stay put. I like that they are a tad thin. You get a little passaround smoke that is still filtered by the flow around method using the outer paper. It keeps the draw from feeling constricted. White Elephants fit in all the pipes I own but I dont like the reduced draw. I havent tried Blitz. Thanks for the heads up. I wont bother.

Manawydan

Can't Leave
Apr 24, 2024
Southern California, US
I use the Savinelli 9mm filters in my Vauen and LCS Briars pipes and love them. Good medium draw, fit well, no issues. I have tried a Vauen filter before, but have no other experience with charcoal filters. In my 6mm pipes I use the Sav balsa system exclusively.

Reactions: Professor Moriarty

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
NOVA
Vau
I dont find that my Vauen filters put up to the stem when drawing. They generally stay put. I like that they are a tad thin. You get a little passaround smoke that is still filtered by the flow around method using the outer paper. It keeps the draw from feeling constricted. White Elephants fit in all the pipes I own but I dont like the reduced draw. I havent tried Blitz. Thanks for the heads up. I wont bother.
Dr Perls work perfectly in a vauen. Like German precision perfect.

They however don’t seal in my Peterson pipes which is a shame because I’d rather use the Dr Perl than any other brand. Why is 9mm not 9mm across the board?