PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
My rotation includes 965. I like it, smoke it daily and it's going bye-bye ( so I'm told ). Searching for another good Scottish blend led me to Red Rapparee. Is it anything like 965 ? Better...worse...similar ?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Nothing alike imho. Red Rap is spicier and sweeter, has none of the toasted cavendish (which both beefs up the presence while.. sort of flattening the taste). I dislike 965, and smoke Red Rapparee greedily.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
965 is milder than Red Rap to me. I like them both. They are both sweet lat blends where the lat is not overwhelming. I agree that Red Rap is spicier and more powerful tastewise.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
None are the same but C&D Stratfordshire and H&H Sunjammer were close. McClelland 9 to 5 was similar as well but might get hard to find too. I also liked H&H Admiralty (I think it’s gone) and Ambassador’s Blend.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
They‘re nothing alike IMO. RR is much sweeter courtesy of (unscented) black cavendish and more oriental forward. I like it but find it a bit cloying at times and can get tired of it. Never happens with 965.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Old Dublin, to me is as close as you will get to 965.
Agree with this 100%. I have recently tried a couple of the match blends, and Old Dublin seems to be the closest to me as well. The cut is pretty similar to.
I think I still prefer the little extra sweetness of Red Rapparee to either.

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
I would never use 965 and Red Rap in the same pipe. Very different tobaccos.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
I've been smoking Red Rapp for a while now...sweet is not a word I would use in describing this blend whatsoever. Savory, tangy, spicy would be how I would describe it. IMO 965 is the sweeter of the two........

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
My $.02- I like Red Rapparee quite a bit more, but I wouldn't call them very similar. I like the stronger Orientals and tang of Red Rapp as compared to 965. I find 965 to be a bit flat, where the brightness of Red Rapp doesn't seem to get old. I second the Old Dublin referrals, the two are very similar, imo. Old Dublin seems to burn a bit cooler, and perhaps has a bit less nicotine, but they are pretty fair equals. And Old Dublin is easy to find!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
^^^workman^^^ - I agree with his statement completely.
I prefer Red Rap! Especially good with age.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Red Rapparee is more Oriental forward, a sharp, sour, tangy blend. In the Rattrays line, Black Mallory would be closer in my eyes, not nearly so much as Old Dublin though.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interesting. I smoke 965, 99% of the time. I've tried Old Dublin twice, and it was awful (the tin note in itself was foul). But, that was many years ago, I guess that I'd better give it another try. I'm down to my last 200 tins of MM965.

It's like when we see people say that Star of the East tastes like Penzance... I always think that people must just not be able to taste, because they are nothing alike to me, unless you mean in a huge differential, ballpark, they are both sort of tobaccos kinda way.
The biggest issue that I would see with turning to a Rattrays as your new all the time smoke is that they do become hard to find sometimes.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
965 is my favorite English. I recently tried GLP Quiet Nights and think it has a similar smoothness to it, but with a little extra kick from the perique. Quiet nights is now my second favorite after 965.

Reactions: eljimmy
Status
Not open for further replies.