Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I love reading Kyle's reviews. He's a great writer, photographer, and contemplator. Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake is somewhat legendary. What is it like when it's been aged for 9-years? Find out here.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/sam-gawith-full-virginia-flake-review/

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Interesting write up. I too have noticed that the bulk (mine was sourced in the US) is not nearly as exquisite as the tins (sourced here in the UK) and I simply put that down to ageing in the tin. Everytime I open a tin I see crystals all over the flakes, something I have never seen on bulk flakes. That said, the 'fresher' bulk FVF is by no means a bad smoke, indeed I am smoking it right now but a little age does go a long way with this blend.
The oldest FVF I smoked was a tin of the Limited Edition Aged FVF which was made for the London Pipe Club. That was released in 2014 after having spent two years in the factory wrapped in clingfilm. Smoked last year, that tin was truly devine! I have another tin of the same that I am hoping I can keep my sticky fingers from for as long as I am able :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I also feel that is more often the case, tinned is somehow always better than bulk. A very good read to be sure.

kyleweiss

Lurker
Feb 12, 2016
Reno, NV
www.pipesmagazine.com
Thank you, Kevin. :) And thanks you guys--humbled to clack out stuff for you to read that you enjoy.
This one was a real treat, and a lesson in patience, intended or otherwise: it's worth it to wait. Very few tobaccos are better fresh out of the gate than they are with some sitting time under their lids. Greg Pease and I have talked about how tinned tobacco gets kind of a "jump-start" being sealed in the tin, protected from the outside world, even if for a a few months after production. Bulk tobacco isn't as fortunate, but I myself have learned to simply take smaller mason jars (4oz, wide-mouth) and cram as much bulk whichever-leaf in there, re-cap the lid, and put it in a dark, mild place. It will age if left alone and provided the tobacco is moist enough. In fact, it can age quite well as I discovered with an 8oz jar of GLP Robusto someone gave to me they didn't like--left it sealed up in a couple of jars for a couple of years and it was wonderful.
If any of you are like me, forgetting about stuff in the "cellar" is a lot of fun. I don't fuss, rotate and pine over my collection. In fact, often times I get new stuff and just throw it on the pile. Eventually I get a hankerin', and something falls out. I was fortunate the nearly decade-old FVF was there to greet me. As I'm puffing on some now, I can finally put to rest the mystery of it all.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.