PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Another ebay gamble. Just a little over $30 for a old looking, generic tin marked "Latakia". 8 oz
rSzM4gb.jpg

N44Dqgp.jpg

kRsUVKw.jpg

I contact the seller. Turns out they work in recycling old house hold chemicals,. Never know what people will bring in from a basement after someone dies.
It shows up today. I shake the tin. Crap sounds like it is dried out. I start looking at the tin, thinking about getting a can opener. I took the label off. Looks like a gap between the lid and the rest of the tin. I start pulling on the lid and it is friction fit in the tin. No wonder the stuff is dried out. I grab a finger full the black tobacco and It is still moist! I jarred it up right after that.
It also says TP-33 PERMIT Califo. Not sure what that means. But the tin looks seriously old. I am pretty sure the contents are original. That is why I was guessing Syrian, which stopped being made in the 1960. Any one else have thoughts on this?
fqqQgPi.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
TP-33 is an FDA code for tobacco licensing products. You see it occasionally on older tins. Here is a link to the FDA paper form.
https://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/ReportsManualsForms/Forms/UCM192153.pdf
As for it being Syrian? No way to tell. But just pretend it’s Syrian and fool your taste buds. It’s probably >20 years old based on the old TP code. So either way it will great to blend with.

sobranie759

Lurker
Jun 5, 2013
In the late eighties to early nineties Barry Levin of Levin Pipes was able to purchase Syrian Latakia. I was close with Barry in the old days and I was able to purchase some from Barry. The tobacco was sourced through Switzerland. Barry had the Syrian tinned with a plain label. Barry had resided in California before his move to the East Coast.
I would guess that you have one of the Syrian latakia tins from this era.
It is a treat to be enjoyed. Add a bit to the new Nightcap or 965.......

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I appreciate everyone kicking in info. Sobraine- Do you recall if the tins through Barry Levin looked like the one I have?
Woodsroad- Any idea when they started issuing the permits?
Thanks,
Andrew

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Very cool and lucky purchase. I’m curious to hear/read how it smokes.

Cheers

sobranie759

Lurker
Jun 5, 2013
Andrew
The ones that I have are only the 2 oz tins which may have been produced after the larger tins. I am sure the tinning was out sourced.
Cheers!

rx2man

May 25, 2012
You knew it lost its mojo already, its got 40+ yrs on it. But it sounds like its more than smokeable so thats a win an a gamble that paid off. I know I would be happy to have it at $30 and I dont care that much for latakia. Its just a cool old tin to have....

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I wanted something that i knew would burn in case it didn't. True I figured it would have lost its punch. It is definitely a condiment, which is fine buy me. To much lat will knock out most flavor in blends for me.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
I dont care that much for lat but that is a neat find period.....and it is still smokeable.....too cool...

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
In the late eighties to early nineties Barry Levin of Levin Pipes was able to purchase Syrian Latakia.
Levin Pipes Klenderwood was one of the first blends I've ever smoked. It was gifted by a fellow pipe smoker. It had some Syrian Latakia in it but it was mostly an Oriental forward blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.