PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
1643585015313.png

So, this is pretty much Sutliff Black Cavendish with a little hint here and there of what I noticed was perhaps toasted almond and a bit of molasses towards the finish, maybe a hint of roasted Brazil Nut for those who remember it from the '70s but that element is super-faint. I almost noted a hint of synthetic undertones that quickly dissipated; might have been my pearwood pipe ghosting the flavor. I noted a bit of steel-cut oats too.. toasted-up.

What's a bit nice about this blend is that it's not a vanilla-monster as most Cavendish tobaccos are. It's a bit flat and comes out a bit dry from the tin, but smokes readily and cool.

I was a little disappointed, expecting something as exciting as 7 Seas' "Regular Blend" but it's fairly "pure" in that though it's nicely sweet, it doesn't have exquisite depth. It's Cavendish without being obscene. Basic and sweet-ish. Perfectly fine. Perhaps what one might call an "all day smoke". No tongue bite and simple but a bit sweet and nice.

This could be a good "introduction to aromatics" to the uninitiated. It's basic with very little complexity but nice and pure. Those who are fan of hyper-depth aromatic Willy-Wonka full-course-dinner-gum levels will be unhappy because it's pretty much a consistent, one-course meal here that doesn't deviate or overwhelm. Smooth smoke probably best on cold nights.

Perfectly fine and reasonably recommended.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the review, I was rummaging around and discovered I have two tins of this, but I have never tried it. I will wait for a time when I don't want to think about the blend I am smoking and just want something enjoy a simple sweet treat.

Reactions: Brendan

happy_lunter

Lifer
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Well written summary, thanks! Got a pound of this stuff as a BD gift over a year ago. Not a big fan of it. Once in a while its an OK smoke when I do not want to focus on the intricacies of the smoke, but rather simply puff something while busy with other consuming tasks.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
sounds like it be really good as something to add a little bit of sweetness to another blend or a mellow kind of darkness. I immediately imagine it being really good in a 3 to 4 ratio with the gold. For every four parts of gold add three part of black. That sounds really good to my imagination.
Like the reviews I feel like the ones we've both tried you get pretty close to what I've experienced and with the ones I haven't tried I feel like I have a good idea of what to expect. A good enough idea to know if I should pick up a tin or not. Great stuff keep it up.

Reactions: Bacco and Bacon