PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Just a little update. I will be very honest..not exactly happy with the draw on the Peterson.

I have had several bowls and was really concerned about smoking out the coating. I have been scraping the bowl with the spoon of my pipe tool after each bowl and used a brush on it some.

This morning I noticed the drilling looks off center to me. I was warned of that possibly in this very thread. I can't thread the pipe cleaner thru with the stem on. I failed to mention this earlier, that's my fault.

I am not sure if I will contact the vendor about it or just accept it as a learning point.

By contrast I am thrilled with my estate Stanwell. It has a very open draw that I prefer. I think that is because the cobbs that I am most familiar with also have a open draw.. what I am used to.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I selected the Irish Harp 80s and am hoping to obtain a Totruga 673ks in the future. I have wanted the 673 style for a while and have considered the 8673 Rossi and the Series 3 673 as a way to save a few bucks on it. For now though, I will hopefully enjoy the Pete and wait for the right time on the Savenelli.
The Irish harp is a good quality line you should enjoy it. ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just a little update. I will be very honest..not exactly happy with the draw on the Peterson.

I have had several bowls and was really concerned about smoking out the coating. I have been scraping the bowl with the spoon of my pipe tool after each bowl and used a brush on it some.

This morning I noticed the drilling looks off center to me. I was warned of that possibly in this very thread. I can't thread the pipe cleaner thru with the stem on. I failed to mention this earlier, that's my fault.

I am not sure if I will contact the vendor about it or just accept it as a learning point.

By contrast I am thrilled with my estate Stanwell. It has a very open draw that I prefer. I think that is because the cobbs that I am most familiar with also have a open draw.. what I am used to.
Post pics. A bent Pete will never pass a cleaner it’s by design

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
Post pics. A bent Pete will never pass a cleaner it’s by design
Ah, I didn't know it was supposed to be that way. I will try to get some pictures but it might take while...tied up at work.

It just seems like the drilling is off a bit to me. I have decided that it will still smoke well enough for me and I am going to be happy with it perfect or not.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina

That bowl coating drove me nuts on my last Pete. It was 1/16 of an inch road tar with what seemed to be gravel in it. Couldn't wipe out the bowl and more tobacco stuck to it than would burn. Alcohol wouldn't touch the garbage coating so I used 200 grit sandpaper to get it off and it took hours. I came close to getting out the dremel. Once I got it back to briar it smoked like a dream and broke in beautifully. I will make sure my next Pete is not coated. My advise, work on getting the coating out completely and don't worry about the drilling.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
New Stanwells are nearly all 6 mm filter - right? I think only the highgrades are available with no filter. That's a detail you'll definitely want to confirm for future ordering (Petersons as well, but they have more non-filter pipes).

If you are smoking a filter pipe sans filter, and trying to compare that to a non-filter pipe, you really can't. Smoking a filter pipe without the filter is like smoking thru an open manhole (definitely not my cup of tea).

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
That bowl coating drove me nuts on my last Pete. It was 1/16 of an inch road tar with what seemed to be gravel in it. Couldn't wipe out the bowl and more tobacco stuck to it than would burn. Alcohol wouldn't touch the garbage coating so I used 200 grit sandpaper to get it off and it took hours. I came close to getting out the dremel. Once I got it back to briar it smoked like a dream and broke in beautifully. I will make sure my next Pete is not coated. My advise, work on getting the coating out completely and don't worry about the drilling.
It will rinse out with water. ?

I’ve had a few that had this tar/rubber shit too. And your description is spot on. Tons of unburnt tobacco sticks to it.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Yes. It's off center, but that really shouldn't get in the way of good smoke. Most of Peterson pipes are drilled off center. I think they are doing something about it. Not too sure, but last few pipes I received has the entry hole on the mortise dead center. I really don't care for that dead center drilling and shallow mortise to get the cleaner through. I understand why people want that set up, but to clean mortise you have to take stem off anyway. And I do take stem off mid smoke to clean mortise. If you run the cleaner all the way to the chamber, good chance you will get some tobacco in the mortise. And with shallow mortise, there's no place for moisture to go but into the chamber. I know some don't like water trap, but I would rather have water trap than wet smoke. Just my opinion x)

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I love my Pete 80s... Someday I'll get around to smoking it.

View attachment 60878
Is that one of the Amber stem ones?
I bought one from England a couple of years ago but unfortunately it got lost in the post(tracking showed left UK but never showed in Greece)
I was and still am really pissed off about it even though I got a full refund from the seller it will be hard to replace it if ever

Status
Not open for further replies.