PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Hello fellow Pipers. For a long time now I have been following the myriad of comments and youtube entries regarding the fine art of Pipe Smoking. With that in mind I submit my Humble Opinions on the subject.

Your opinions are most welcome! You post reads like a movie. Thanks for sharing and thanks for your service!

I completely agree about the cob. I did a bit more of a deep clean of my pipes on Sunday. I have a cob I have used for fishing, hunting, yard work, etc and has been a bit abused and neglected. Because I have smoked it in the wind I thought the rim was badly charred. However, when I began to clean it was just tar build up and after tidying up the chamber and stem, that crazy cob looks remarkably amazing.

Of course when it comes to their primary business function, they do more than just be remarkably durable, they smoke cool and consistent.

It would be interesting to know where that cob you gave away is today too. It could very well still be in use today!

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Excellent post. I have been in the pipe smoking game for 31 years now. I agree that out of all the pipes that I own and the ones that have come and gone, I still enjoy my cobs very, very much. While I have some favorite briars that I smoke often, I probably smoke my cobs more than anything else. Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and kurtbob

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great service and thank you for that and an interesting into. The gift you gave and received are priceless. Yes, photos, please!

How to place a photo in a post:

If it's on your computer, you can drag it into the REPLY Box directly, or to the Image box (see below) after opening the dialogue box. If you are LINKING* to an image, click on the Link button and paste the URL into the box that opens. The symbol to LINK is the right hand symbol on the upper left of the box. (Looks like a tilted infinity sign.)

No need to resize, as the server will do that for you. Choose full size image, not thumbnail.

* Photos from many—even most—websites can be displayed by copying the image's URL, usually by Control-clicking onna Mac; or right-clicking on Windows, selecting the URL (often stated as "Copy Image Location" or similar words), then copy/paste that into the window.

screen-shot-mbp-jpm-2019-09-26-at-8-00-53-am-jpg.3255.jpg

Reactions: BROBS

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for your service and for sharing your story. If you want to try a few blends that are readily available that I really enjoy here are a few.
Capstan Blue Flake
Solani 660 Silver flake and 633 which is a Virginia/Perique blend.
Mac Baren OLd Dark Fired
Escudo.
My favorite retailers are smokingpipes.com,tobaccopipes.con, 4noggins.com

There are so many great blends out there but I concentrated on some of my favorites and everyone knows what good taste I have. lol

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
One of these days I will post about completing nearly all the Medal of Honor and Call of Duty campaigns and you bastards better thank me for my service. My body count of Nazi's, Japanese and Taliban is huge and I deserve a purple heart for getting irreversible carpal tunnel syndrome and permanent flat ass in imaginary service to my country!

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
One of these days I will post about completing nearly all the Medal of Honor and Call of Duty campaigns and you bastards better thank me for my service. My body count of Nazi's, Japanese and Taliban is huge and I deserve a purple heart for getting irreversible carpal tunnel syndrome and permanent flat ass in imaginary service to my country!
You slay me!

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
G'day and welcome from Oz.

Would also like to see a pic of your jewel encrusted Meerschaum.

I've got heaps of pipes, mainly briar. About 30 pipes are in my regular rotation.
My 3 MM cobs are smoked daily. Great smokers.

Reactions: kurtbob

mportolani

Lurker
Mar 16, 2020
Hello fellow Pipers. For a long time now I have been following the myriad of comments and youtube entries regarding the fine art of Pipe Smoking. With that in mind I submit my Humble Opinions on the subject. Background: I am a 69 years old retired (37 years Intelligence Officer) US Military Soldier. I have been smoking pipes since age 16. I have owned more than 100 pipes during those 53 years. Everything from my first home made Corn Cob through various pipes such as Briars - cheap and relatively expensive. In the 1969-72 Time frame even smoked a 2-bowl in-line Straight Grained Savinelli. Twist the bit and could smoke from either the forward or rear bowl. Sold in '70 for $700. Dr. Graybows, Medicos, Ceramics, Clays, Apple wood, Cherry wood, Calabash, and Pressed and/or block Meerschaums. Savinellies, Dunhills, Peterson, J. Upshall, Nordings and others. I have a Turkish Block Meerschaum that was custom made for me while I was deployed (2 times) to Afghanistan. Once circa 2005) While I was in face-to-face contact with a Taliban Commander, we were smoking Shisha (water pipe) and afterwards, I broke out one of my favorite Corn Cobs (Missouri Meerschaum) and loaded it with Half and Half (That was all I could get that the US PX there). I offered him a toke and after a few sips, he went crazy happy! What should have been a 20-30 minute meeting, lasted about 2 hours. I ended up giving him the Cob and the rest of my tobacco. Anyway, about 3 weeks later, I got word that he wanted to meet me again. I met him in a small village near Surobi. After we finished negotiating a few political matters, he brought out a small, embroidered sack in which was a hand carved Block Meerschaum done in what he thought was my likeness. During those meeting I wore typical Afghan Garb to include Turban. Imbedded in the Pipe's carved head that remotely resembled me, was a 2 Carat Ruby. I am m now owning just 12 various pipes, and that pipe of course is amongst them. OK: here is my point. Of ALL the pipes I've owned and smoked in my life, it is the Corn Cob type that I truly enjoy the most. Function over type. $8.00 vs $100's. IMHO the cobs smoke the best. After all, isn't that the essence of pipe smoking? Cool, dry and tobacco enhancing. I have kept 4 Cobs, dedicated to time of day use. Noon, Afternoon, and Evening. I enjoy particular Tobacco blends for each event. So, of course, please buy any type of pipe that suits your fancy. That is the FUN part. I merely suggest that one keeps, uses, and maintains at least 4-5 various Cobs for overall pleasant, and enjoyable smoking sessions without disappointment. Money a'int everything. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.