PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mportolani

Lurker
Mar 16, 2020
Hello fellow Pipers. For a long time now I have been following the myriad of comments and youtube entries regarding the fine art of Pipe Smoking. With that in mind I submit my Humble Opinions on the subject. Background: I am a 69 years old retired (37 years Intelligence Officer) US Military Soldier. I have been smoking pipes since age 16. I have owned more than 100 pipes during those 53 years. Everything from my first home made Corn Cob through various pipes such as Briars - cheap and relatively expensive. In the 1969-72 Time frame even smoked a 2-bowl in-line Straight Grained Savinelli. Twist the bit and could smoke from either the forward or rear bowl. Sold in '70 for $700. Dr. Graybows, Medicos, Ceramics, Clays, Apple wood, Cherry wood, Calabash, and Pressed and/or block Meerschaums. Savinellies, Dunhills, Peterson, J. Upshall, Nordings and others. I have a Turkish Block Meerschaum that was custom made for me while I was deployed (2 times) to Afghanistan. Once circa 2005) While I was in face-to-face contact with a Taliban Commander, we were smoking Shisha (water pipe) and afterwards, I broke out one of my favorite Corn Cobs (Missouri Meerschaum) and loaded it with Half and Half (That was all I could get that the US PX there). I offered him a toke and after a few sips, he went crazy happy! What should have been a 20-30 minute meeting, lasted about 2 hours. I ended up giving him the Cob and the rest of my tobacco. Anyway, about 3 weeks later, I got word that he wanted to meet me again. I met him in a small village near Surobi. After we finished negotiating a few political matters, he brought out a small, embroidered sack in which was a hand carved Block Meerschaum done in what he thought was my likeness. During those meeting I wore typical Afghan Garb to include Turban. Imbedded in the Pipe's carved head that remotely resembled me, was a 2 Carat Ruby. I am m now owning just 12 various pipes, and that pipe of course is amongst them. OK: here is my point. Of ALL the pipes I've owned and smoked in my life, it is the Corn Cob type that I truly enjoy the most. Function over type. $8.00 vs $100's. IMHO the cobs smoke the best. After all, isn't that the essence of pipe smoking? Cool, dry and tobacco enhancing. I have kept 4 Cobs, dedicated to time of day use. Noon, Afternoon, and Evening. I enjoy particular Tobacco blends for each event. So, of course, please buy any type of pipe that suits your fancy. That is the FUN part. I merely suggest that one keeps, uses, and maintains at least 4-5 various Cobs for overall pleasant, and enjoyable smoking sessions without disappointment. Money a'int everything. Cheers.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
It is Always nice to see someone still smoking a pipe after 50 years! I just started the hobby. If I get 50 years of piping pleasure, that will take me to 97 years old, at which time I will willingly accept whatever fate befalls me.

cheers

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Hello fellow Pipers. For a long time now I have been following the myriad of comments and youtube entries regarding the fine art of Pipe Smoking. With that in mind I submit my Humble Opinions on the subject. Background: I am a 69 years old retired (37 years Intelligence Officer) US Military Soldier. I have been smoking pipes since age 16. I have owned more than 100 pipes during those 53 years. Everything from my first home made Corn Cob through various pipes such as Briars - cheap and relatively expensive. In the 1969-72 Time frame even smoked a 2-bowl in-line Straight Grained Savinelli. Twist the bit and could smoke from either the forward or rear bowl. Sold in '70 for $700. Dr. Graybows, Medicos, Ceramics, Clays, Apple wood, Cherry wood, Calabash, and Pressed and/or block Meerschaums. Savinellies, Dunhills, Peterson, J. Upshall, Nordings and others. I have a Turkish Block Meerschaum that was custom made for me while I was deployed (2 times) to Afghanistan. Once circa 2005) While I was in face-to-face contact with a Taliban Commander, we were smoking Shisha (water pipe) and afterwards, I broke out one of my favorite Corn Cobs (Missouri Meerschaum) and loaded it with Half and Half (That was all I could get that the US PX there). I offered him a toke and after a few sips, he went crazy happy! What should have been a 20-30 minute meeting, lasted about 2 hours. I ended up giving him the Cob and the rest of my tobacco. Anyway, about 3 weeks later, I got word that he wanted to meet me again. I met him in a small village near Surobi. After we finished negotiating a few political matters, he brought out a small, embroidered sack in which was a hand carved Block Meerschaum done in what he thought was my likeness. During those meeting I wore typical Afghan Garb to include Turban. Imbedded in the Pipe's carved head that remotely resembled me, was a 2 Carat Ruby. I am m now owning just 12 various pipes, and that pipe of course is amongst them. OK: here is my point. Of ALL the pipes I've owned and smoked in my life, it is the Corn Cob type that I truly enjoy the most. Function over type. $8.00 vs $100's. IMHO the cobs smoke the best. After all, isn't that the essence of pipe smoking? Cool, dry and tobacco enhancing. I have kept 4 Cobs, dedicated to time of day use. Noon, Afternoon, and Evening. I enjoy particular Tobacco blends for each event. So, of course, please buy any type of pipe that suits your fancy. That is the FUN part. I merely suggest that one keeps, uses, and maintains at least 4-5 various Cobs for overall pleasant, and enjoyable smoking sessions without disappointment. Money a'int everything. Cheers.
Ex Air Force and Army drone program contractor with 8 min 1 yr deployments to the sand box here. I’m 100% with you on the cob thing but I do own several fine smoking briars also sir! Welcome

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
True, but if it floats, flys, or f’ks it’s too expensive.
Couldn’t be truer. We have a Cessna 185 that both floats and flys, and it has sucked more money than anything I’ve ever had. But well worth it. The improvement in quality of life it affords far outweighs the decrease in quality of life its expense creates, hahaha.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.