PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
OK, several people have mentioned straight pipes. Why? I've only got one that is semi-straight, the stem is curved a bit. I've mostly bought bent because I like the looks of them better.
Me too. I like bent. I only have one straight pipe, one of my cobs.

Reactions: Irish Piper

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
1. Try small samples of different tobaccos to see what you like, you may be surprised to find an unexpected favorite.
2. Try different drying times, moisture can make a big difference in flavor.
3. Don’t get too wrapped up in chasing limited release FOMO bait. There’s plenty of amazing blends readily available.
4. ???
5. Find the kind of pipe medium and shape that works for you and build your roster to suit you.

Old_Newby

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2022
Texas
1. Start with 2 MM cobs.
2. Dry your tobacco. (1 hour)
3. Slow slow slow slow sipping.
4. Try blends without Perique first.
5. Be patient like with tasting wine or whiskey.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
1. Start with a decent sized cob and some classic OTC tobacco. Consider using a filter - not necessary, but helpful for some. Many cobs will accept a filter.
2. Plan to dry the tobacco a bit, pack light, tamp very gingerly, and smoke very slowly (repeat this mantra).
3. Try to relax and not push it. Don't worry about keeping it lit by smoking, and don't worry about how often you have to relight it.
4. Don't expect you'll always successfully burn all of the tobacco - plan to dump some dottle at the end. However, see 5 (a) below.
5. After cool down, clean your pipe well and give it a rest, or use a different pipe next time.
5. (a) Cobs require a little bit of break-in. As you smoke through your first few bowls, gently tamp the ash toward the areas around and below the spot where the stem enters the bowl to build up the floor around the sides of the stem. Avoid vigorously poking at or dumping the ash to keep that area built up to the level of the draft hole.
5.(b) Enjoy the ride. Keep on exploring the forums for good info, tips, and expert advice. Understand it will take awhile for everything to go smoothly.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would start with a Saivinelli pipe around 100-150.00. I would then get a tin of Peterson Flake, Peterson Navy Rolls and a tin of Capstan Blue Flake. Learn how to smoke flakes. Never light up without checking the draw first. You want a bit of resistance and then read, experiment and read all you can about flake tobacco. I say jump into the deep end of the pool right at the get go.

Reactions: JOHN72