PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
I’ve been searching for a birth year Dunhill for about a year now. Rarely do I find any that catch my eye. I’m not going to buy just any 1975...

Any way, a friend mentioned he saw a 1975 bent bull dog at one of the European sites. It was stunning and the best I’d seen. I was actually in the process of checking out with it, when I noticed that the bore size is 5.2mm.
This must have been re-drilled at some time and seems quite excessive to me.

Am I looking too much into this factor?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
You'll feel it, even though the entire pipe isn't bored at 5.2 (the stem is unlikely to have been opened in a matching fashion). I've had a couple pipes with huge bores like that, curve-drilled Ser Jacopos, and they smoked acceptably, I suppose, but I never liked them especially. If the price is right you could try it out, but .. if they want top dollar I myself would pass. No reason to own a Dunhill that .... isn't a Dunhill inside too.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Mar 1, 2014
If it's a 9mm filter Pipe I'd feel a lot better about it, if they're cutting a normal tenon to 5.2mm that can take things to the limits pretty easily (The tenon itself is often just 8mm).

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
could it be an inner tube pipe missing the inner tube.
I dont know the diameter of them or when they stopped producing them if they have, and dont have one to measure

or even if bent pipes have them

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
the pipe is bent? are they measuring the funnel opening on the tenon?
a Dunhill from that year should have a wide open funnel into the mortise.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Ser Jacopo with a stock wide open bore that may be among my best smokers, but I'd agree a Dunhill that has been redrilled may not be the best bet. Unless maybe the price is irresistible.

Status
Not open for further replies.