PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
Last year I just sealed the whole box in a mylar bag because I wanted the cedar box to continue to impart its flavour and I plan on doing the same with this years version.
Chris

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I smoke cigars that have a strong cedar note to them and I very much like that. So I too went for these for that very purpose. The box I am sure inflated the cost but was the reason for my purchase.

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
Passed on this one..
Smart move. Nothing special here...you're paying for the box. If you want a good ribbon cut Virginia, blend yourself C&D Red and bright for $2 per ounce (bulk).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If they had left it in flake form I would have tried it. Since they made it a ribbon cut I don't have any interest. I predict there will be a big sale on this stuff sometime down the road.

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
If they had left it in flake form I would have tried it.
A farmer near my other house in NC that grows for American Spirit (mostly) and that I occasionally buy some whole leaf from told me one time that the lower quality leaves are usually ribbon cut; he told me the reason for that but I don't remember what that was and don't know if that's true or not. But again, for a good solid VA ribbon that isn't cased or topped, the C&D bulk (red and bright) are not top quality, but pretty darn good, and for a lot less than this stuff. Personally, my favorite red is Carolina Red Flake and my favorite red throughout the year is Interlude--both nice thick broken flakes.

Oct 7, 2016
I predict there will be a big sale on this stuff sometime down the road.
Smoking Pipes OOS. CupoJoes OOS. Watch City OOS. Tobacco Pipes has some @$26. Mars and 4 Noggins yet to be heard from. One etailer I talked to said pre orders and orders at the Las Vegas trade show took all the distributor had, which they were saying was all there ever would be.

Jun 9, 2018
England
You guys in the US think you payed a lot for this but I've had to add on about £38 P&P PLUS customs and duties which will probably add about another £10-£12 to the price of this one tin/box.

Now I did order some other new tobacco as well but overall this single box will probably work out costing me about £40, and that's for a tobacco that was made in my own country of England!

It's all relative though as people in Australia & Canada spend about this amount on a regular tin of Peterson's or whatever and I really wanted to get one of these for my cellar which I'm desperately using any spare cash to build up before the inevitable Internet tobacco ban happens.
Chris

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
I shall pass. Let me know how it tastes and I’ll be enjoying something else much less expensive. The cellar beckons.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I was surprised at how cheap it was this year at $21, I paid $33 last year.....it was a flake though, but that was expensive!.
Still, a few years back they had that $1,000 box on sale (100g from memory) and that sold out......(not sure which brand it was but some pipe clubs purchased a box to share at meetings).

The marketing is sufficiently attractive to new smokers like me.
1. How else would new smokers get to 10 year aged tobacco at that price?

2. The box is sufficiently attractive-My wife or I will definitely find a use for it.
Off topic - I can state #2 with conviction due to the fate of my cigar humidor. When I discovered that the cigars I like are too expensive for regular smoking, and the ones I can afford daily, I don’t like - my humidor was empty for a few months. Then one day I suddenly realized it has converted to a make up box.

Status
Not open for further replies.