PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
To my tastes, they would be. But there are those who insist they can sense such subtleties, and I have no reason to argue with them.

From the maker's side, little tweaks to a formula - like, say releasing the flake and the spun-out version of the same thing, or putting a bourbon barrel stave in the tin - can fairly be called different things in my book.
I agree. But some people can “find” a difference in everything

Reactions: anotherbob

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
It's definitely made in the same way. They're the same size and have the same density of swirls and layers inside.

Fresh out of the tin, the Stockton tastes stronger, like it might have more dark fired, but not too much.

I'll try to get two pipes going later this week and truly A/B it.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Just simultaneously smoked a bowl of each in two different (but similarly chambered) pipes. To my unsophisticated tastes, they are very similar, but not the same.

The stockton is spicier and a little harsher. Otherwise, they look, feel, and behave the same. It could be age, a slightly different proportion of ingredients, or even a subtle topping.

In conclusion, different, and I like the 4th gen a little better. But probably not twice as much -in reference to the price-. I will happily sit on the stockton for a year or two and come back to it.

Even _if_ Mr. Stokkeybe just repackaged some old or non-conforming Mac Baren product to come up with this release, I wouldn't fault him for it. Stockton wasn't available in the states at the time and he is welcome to put his name on anything he feels worthy of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.