PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
i'm sure more experienced smoker would have had better experience.

the tobacco looks dry, and feels dry. buf once you take some off the tangled mess, it has good amount of moisture. once fully rubbed for easy packing, there seems to be slightly more moisture. this will require drying. but unlike other blends, what feels dry doesn't really mean dry. require further drying to a point it's bone dry.

since i dried to my "feel" dry point that worked for other blends, had few issues with light. typically i don't do false/true light. but this required number of attempts at even light.

once lit, it's little rough. per the description, this is straight virginia. but, i'm keep getting peppery note. this comes and goes till mid bowl. once at mid bowl, the sweet va starts to develop into some what honey like taste. from here on, it's rather pleasant smoke with no bite. there are other things going on, but no strong pepper note like at the start. gently sipping with breath smoke seems to work the best. strong pull doesn't really bite, but the flavor seems to go down. i know there are other tastes, but not really sure how to describe them. one was bread. something raw like cut grass, but for very brief moment.

the end of smoke once again brought in mild peppery note. as mentioned earlier, with not drying for extensive period of time, moisture prevented satisfactory finish. relight were basically uneventful and i dump the rest.

smoked a "tin" of it before and forgot to adjust it for the moisture. my fault. but with other va or va/per, didn't run into this moisture issue. might be due to being aged for 10 yrs?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Only had one bowl so far and didn't dry it long enough (Like you said, it takes longer than expected and I had time constraints), so take this with a grain of salt. It was ok, but I won't be buying any more beyond the two I got. Plenty of other good VAs out there that don't cost 100 head of hog and 12 hardy serfs.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've smoked about half a tin. It's SG so it's going to be wet. I don't run it out, I just did it and did it rather loose. Give it took to expand. Took some more lights but smoked fine. I'm with alaskanpiper, good tobacco but not worth the premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.