PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
What a nice surprise. They put a sample of Bread Loaf in my TAD that I just received today. It's a full flavored pleasant smoke. I had never seen it in their bulk selection before, must be new. It says; Oriental forward with a bit of Cigar Leaf, Virginia, and Burley.
I have a question about the Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake. I received two 250g and the flakes are wrapped in a box. The flakes are about 8 inches long. Too tall for my jars. Should I cut them down to fit in Mason jars or do y'all think they would be good to cellar as is?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Definitely mason jars, I just cut them in half and put them in. I actually found nice mason jars at a dollar store that fit about 100 gms perfect

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Thanks, that's the plan. The jars are 5 inches tall. So, I cut them 4 13/16 to fill entire jars and placed the two inch pieces into different jars. Plus, I had a chance to smoke a bowl and load a bowl for tomorrow. First time smoking any Samuel Gawith.
The Bread Loaf actual had a bread taste.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It seems like Oriental forward VaBur and VaPer blends are trending now. From forum discussions of a few months ago, adding some C&D blending Izmir to Va-based blends seemed in vogue. Then, Low Country Waccamaw became the subject of a few threads, followed by the appearance of NYPC's Bedloe's Island and C&D's Orion's Arrow and Oak Alley; and now we have 4noggins' Bread Loaf. There are certainly many more, like Sail Yellow, Patriot Flake, and McClelland's Oriental lineup(s), but these are the recent blends that I noticed.
Definitely put the 250gr. pack of SG/BBF in Mason jars. I cut 'em in half first so they stack in the upright position.

All the bulk flakes that come in cellophane-wrapped boxes should be jarred, IMO.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I use a little $6 kitchen scale and break my 250g boxes into five 50g stacks. I don't cut them down, just kind of loosely roll them into a roll and they slide pretty much perfectly down into those little 4oz jelly jars. Never really thought much about standing them on end vs resting them on their side in a roll. Is it just an accessibility thing for the taller jars?

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Just finished my fifth bowl of Bread Loaf and I find it to be extremely satisfying! Very flavorful for a mild smoke, zero toppings/zero tongue bite. Of the five bowls I only had one relight. Bread Loaf will be on the top of my list for my next TAD.
Torque, I like the flakes on end as it is easier to take out of the jar.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I used to smoke flake as flake, in large pieces, but now I rub it out. When I smoked it as flake keeping the flake intact as much as possible had more meaning. I still enjoy handling it but not as much as before as I know it's going to end up in little pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.