Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This August 30 I turn 40. I have been concentrating on getting my estate purchases restored/cleaned etc apart from 1 or 2 odd pipes a year. Would love your recommendations for my 40th Birthday pipe (Shape, Finish, Pipe Maker).
Honestly, I dont know what I want. Help a brother out, will ya !!
Cheers,

Chris

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Poul Winsløw has very special, unique pipes, but a Dunhill or Castello could be also festal enough. Or, if you would like to remain young, then a Caminetto. :wink:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'd skip Dunhill altogether, it's just overdone. Get a Ken Barnes and smoke some McClelland 40th Anniversary in it.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Check out Jack Howell Pipes, jwh.fastmail.fm, I have 2 of his pipes a Dublin and an Acorn both just fantastic smokes and lovely workmanship. Here is a shot at one of his smooth Lovat Dublin shapes from his gallery.
47733332201_8d36e6a71a_o_d.jpg

banjo
Here is my Acorn by Jack,
14250665022_0f821a7669.jpg
and here is my Dublin from him I purchased for my 43’d wedding anniversary.

35837845213_b735084bf8_z_d.jpg

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Fishn', you're one pretty sharp fellow, buying yourself a pipe on your wedding anniversary. I had to laugh when I read that. I didn't see a pipe listed as the traditional anniversary gift for the 43rd year! Keep it up buddy, we live vicariously through your pipe purchases.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
August is plenty enough time to do a commission piece. That would be great option in your case. And very personal. But you also couldn't go wrong with a classic factory/workshop pipe like a Castello.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Commission with the carver of your choice. Good recommendation on these posts. I'd get something medium size in a traditional shape but done with the carvers own original touches, discussed with him/her in advance, and maybe share a photo or two and maybe a sketch of how you'd like it different, and leave the door open for the carver's own ideas. I think blast would be excellent, but so would any other finish if well done.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Roush sandblast. I'm not sure about shape?

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
It's a big F-ing day, man! I got this Northern Briars for myself on my 40th this year, and I love it.

northern-briars-rox-cut-left-001-600x321.jpg

Also this NOS Old England, which I love even more than the Northern.

old-england-haslemere-left-600x323.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If commission prices are steep for you, keep shopping around. Talented new carvers and good but lesser known carvers have a range of prices. You need to make it worth their time, but you don't have to go to the top price carvers with national/international names.

Thanks gentlemen for the comments and suggestions. Please keep them coming. My budget is around $1200-$1500.
There are so many talented pipe makers its hard to choose one. One of my very good friend Adam Sheehan has grown to be an awesome pipe maker !!
As I said, I have no freaking idea as what to get, I am relying on you guys. August is quite far away so no hurries ;)
Cheers,

Chris

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
$1200 - $1500, eh? Some guys will come to your house and make one for you for that. Serious money.

Here I was just thinking how much I enjoy smoking my MM Pride 2nd for the last 4 yrs and that maybe I should just get about a half dozen or so more (first quality!) and thin my other pipes out/down/gone.

Crikey, talk about a difference of approaches.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have a big birthday coming up, and hadn't thought of gifting myself a very nice pipe.... Thanks for the idea! I may go ritzy estate, Barling preferred if Jesse hasn't got all of them!

A small update and my thoughts on the topic.
@didi Already commissioned bespoke 7 day Legend smoking set :rofl: :rofl:
A major of us smokers prefer classics for milestones. I too, thought the same for a long time, but it would be just another pipe for just another guy from an extremely talented pipe maker whoever they may be. I realized today, I do not want to be that guy. I love classics but the designer in me wants something more, unique.
So, the search continues........even if it takes a longer time than August, I just want to choose the maker and request them to choose a block on or before my birthday (Aug 30) and then wait for them to do their magic.
What are your thoughts?
Keep it smokey !!
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.