PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Someone in another thread posted a link to this Rossi Author on SP. I've always liked the look of this shape and wanted one for my collection. At $40 it seemed like a steal.
I went ahead and bought it and have had it for about 5 days now. I figured out really quickly that the large bowl diameter made for a very bad smoke when trying to smoke my normal blends (straight Virginias). I was pretty bummed out and thinking I had wasted money on a bad pipe.
Then I tried something I almost never do. I stuffed it full of a lat blend. The pipe came alive in an amazing way.
I have almost completely given up lat blends in the last year. I just got to where I didn't enjoy the taste of the blends was was getting some really nasty tongue bite from anything with latakia in it. But in this bowl, the lat blends seem to be much more enjoyable, and so far, no tongue bite at all.
Maybe I found a pipe that will allow me to enjoy lat blends more often? I'm pretty excited about the possibility :)
Here's the pipe:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rossi/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=235309

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Someone in another thread posted a link to this Rossi Author on SP.
I can't imagine who would do such a thing. :mrgreen: I love the look of that pipe.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I just bought one of the $40 authors also, the thing is freaking awesome, such a good deal

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I can't imagine who would do such a thing.
I'm assuming it was you then? :D
In that case, thanks Duane. You led me to an awesome pipe!

raybrown55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2017
Some months ago I've bought three Rossi pipes at 40 euros each, and I've used them always with English / Balkan blends (maybe because of their black colour ...) with full satisfaction; I don't find great difference in smoke taste when I use more expensive pipes...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's generally true that wider diameter bowls do well with more complex blends, three or more tobaccos. I find that's true with pots, princes, authors, and my one diplomat. For Va and Va/Per, a narrower bowl does well. 'Doesn't mean you can't try any blend in any pipe, and some might surprise you and work well, but these are best bets for particular kinds of blends. No rules.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I had the exact same experience with a Group 3 Dunhill pot. I primarily smoke Virginias, but I do occasionally enjoy english/orientals. In the little wide-bowled pot, Latakia blends taste far better to me. Neat!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
You know, I always considered the saying that certain blends work best with certain pipe shapes is bs ... well lately I have found out the opposite. Nice pipe by the way, I love rossi ...

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I have the exact same pipe, but mine is a Baronet Bruyere 320EX which has a Savinelli symbol on the stem. I believe Rossi took over this pipe from Savinelli some time back. I realized early that this shape was made for Latakia blends and I have dedicated it to those blends. Never fails to give me a great smoke. The two blends that smoke great in my pipe are Dunhill My Mixture 965 and Peter Stokkebye's Balkan Supreme, but any Latakia blend would probably smoke great in this pipe.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Some really nice looking pipes for the price. Glad you were able to put it to use and even more so that you found a way to enjoy Latakia again.

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
Wow, these rossi's look to be right up my alley. For that price, I can buy at least 3 of them next month, adding to my meager collection (2 briars, 1 Mr. Brog, and like 6 MM cobs). I hate myself for admitting this, but I think I spent at least $450-$500 the last month buying briars, some decent MM's and a BUNCH of different tobaccos. The ONLY tobacco I didn't like out of my massive collection Rich Dark Honeydew from G&H. I just don't like the aroma and the flavor is not for me. I have like an oz. left if anyone wants to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.