4/24/20: SP...Heinrich’s Curly Block Available Today.☕️?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ll get a bag once a year. To my taste, it is a top 5 VaPer and I always have some available. I’ll smoke 1/2 and cellar the other half. As @hoosierpipeguy mentioned this blend favors a dark fruity perique note rather than an overly peppery one. It is excellent right out of the bag, but a WOW after a year or more in the cellar. If you have the extra 80$ and can get it, I’d highly recommend. If not, there are lots of others out there with a better price point. Have fun!☕️?

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
This sounds delicious, and you are all a terrible influence. I'm now contemplating spending 80 bucks on a blend I hadn't even heard of a couple of days ago. Buncha damn enablers, if you ask me!
If you haven't had it and can afford it then, I totally agree jump on it as it will sell out. It's good and I may have one or three stashed away. Unicorn it is..

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This sounds delicious, and you are all a terrible influence. I'm now contemplating spending 80 bucks on a blend I hadn't even heard of a couple of days ago. Buncha damn enablers, if you ask me!
Save yourself some money and buy a pound of Acadian Perique.

Reactions: craiginthecorn

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don’t find it similar at all to Escudo or any of the other coin cut tobaccos. It’s rougher IMO probably due to the burley.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
$100 an ounce? No it does not. Unless on one occassion some crazy guy paid that much. (I have seen some crazy stuff happen in regards to tobacco.)
Please let me know if you can find it for a much better price. I have no problem spending money but that's the last price it was offered to me, which I turned down.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I’m also pretty sure the wrapper is burley.
So it’s really not 100% similar to a VaPer.
I suppose it's possible that the wrapper is burley, but I don't taste it. Burley is not particularly flavorful, so if it is there, it might only be noticeable in the nicotine level and perhaps in the blends' propensity to bite.

Curly Block is a very large diameter and very tightly constructed with many layers of leaves, so a burley wrapper isn't going to be particularly noticable. I mean, we're not talking about a Connecticut wrapper on a lancero here. To me, it's a VaPer, albeit a strongly-flavored one. Also, burley is not listed in Peter Heinrichs' own description on their website:

"This unique pipe tobacco was created from the highest quality Virginia varieties and a hint of Perique. The "round" block gets its characteristic shape from a shape in which the tobacco has been placed. The mixture rests in the press for at least 6 weeks, fermentes gently and thereby reveals the multi-layered taste nuances...."

In fairness, there is a note on the crowd-sourced tobaccoreviews.com entry which mentions burley, but it's still classified as a VaPer.

The point really was, though, to make a value comparison to another high quality blend constructed in a similar fashion.

Last edited:

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
I used to chase cigars, I went way down that rabbit hole. I learned to love/hate Pete Johnson, my wallet did for sure. Now it's started all over again because I read this stuff right up in here. I guess I should be thankful for being essentially employed. I just don't want to grab a calculator and start adding up the year. I keep saying it's time to pump the brakes but someone cut the line.

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
I used to chase cigars, I went way down that rabbit hole. I learned to love/hate Pete Johnson, my wallet did for sure. Now it's started all over again because I read this stuff right up in here. I guess I should be thankful for being essentially employed. I just don't want to grab a calculator and start adding up the year. I keep saying it's time to pump the brakes but someone cut the line.
3 times the smoke for half the price with pipe tobacco versus cigars. Pretty easy to out pace yourself coming from cigars.
Curly block is a darn good hunk of tobacco!

Status
Not open for further replies.