30th Birthday Haul. You Guys Decide What I Smoke First/What Gets Cellared!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Neerup Pipes
3 Fresh Ping Zhan Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
12 Fresh Johs Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
All of these are new to me. I decided to celebrate 12 years of pipe smoking by picking up some classic tobaccos that I just haven't gotten around to smoking yet, and a few sleepers that have always intrigued me. I used to smoke 80%+ McClelland, so obviously I need to start branching out.
Only caveat - that VA from McB has a tin date of Sep. 2015! I don't know how I pulled off ordering from a major retailer and got an older tin, but I think I'll let it sit a few more years before cracking it. Guess I'll need to reorder so I know if I want to cellar more, though.
Finally, I was a little disappointed by how narrow the bowl is in those Mark Twain cobs. I'm living in a studio apartment without any real tools to fix the situation, so I don't know what I'll do for now. Almost seem too narrow to get a decent smoke, but I guess we'll see. There must be a reason they made them so narrow?
eOVbazg

EDIT: Pic doesn't want to work...here's a link to it: https://imgur.com/eOVbazg
List of tobaccos in case pic is difficult to read:
Country Lawyer

Five Brothers

Carter Hall

Captain Earle's Honor Blend

Luxury Bullseye Flake

Presbyterian

Solani Aged Burley Flake

McB Vanilla Flake

HH Pure Virginia

Stonehenge Flake

Cairo

Sunday Picnic

Oriental Silk

Opening Night

Night Train

Haunted Bookshop

Billy Budd Blonde

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
The HH Pure VA and Cairo will both love a little nap in the cellar. if I were you, I'd be itching to smoke the Presbyterian and the Sunday Picnic. I'd also pull the trigger on the Carter Hall and Five Brothers!, which may not show a lot of improvement after being aged (esp. CH).
But, as always, it's up to you. Life is too short to not smoke what you like.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
First off, happy 30th!
Secondly, the only blend that I have smoked from that pile is Honor Blend. It is one of my favorites. It has a deep dark chocolate flavour that I really enjoy. I have some jarred for use and 2 tins getting some age on it.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
You're a technological wizard scloyd! Thank you!
I had a thought that Cairo would do well with some age on it, but I'm excited to try it! I loved McC's Classic Samsun, and I'm looking for a good Oriental replacement. I'll restrain myself. I'll try to give it at least six, months.
Honor Blend is definitely on my radar for an inaugural smoke. Sounds tasty!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Since the only two I've smoked in the pile is Presbyterian and Carter Hall my choice would be Presbyterian. It's one of my favorites anyway.
Happy 30th Birthday

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I too am a Classic Samsun fanatic. I’m very grateful that I started cellaring it before McClelland’s demise and was able to put away a decent amount. Not nearly as much as I could wish, though.
Of course this is only my opinion and YMMV, but though I like Cairo quite a bit, it’s a lot different than Classic Samsun.

Jan 8, 2013
This is easy! Take a coin (or two) of that luxury bullseye flake, fold it in half into the shape of a half moon and stuff it in the bowl, light it up, and be ready for pure bliss. Happy Birthday! :clap:
Presby is good too, though. Either way, enjoy the heck out of all of that!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
From a practical stand point, I would consider that Presbyterian. They package the tobacco inside a tin using a plastic bag, and in my experience that doesn't work that well with aging.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I'd tuck into that Solani ABF personally. Really good mellow burley, great with coffee

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
I definitely feel lucky living in the States. The FDA is getting up to some foolery recently, but at least it's not as bad as other parts of the world...yet.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
I love Night Train more and more each year. Molasses and power. You might do a burley flight at some point: Carter Hall to ABF to NT. Each tobacco has a very distinct flavor, even though they're burley-based.

Status
Not open for further replies.