PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
here is a link to the article: 26 State-Level Tobacco Legislative Bills to Watch

A lot of them pertain to vaping and cigarettes. Some do pertain to pipe tobacco too.

"Indiana: House Bill 1379 prohibits the sale of flavored tobacco products. . . ."

Kentucky: House Bill 201 proposes tax increases.

"Missouri: House Bill 2280 prohibits the distribution or sale of novelty lighters." This is my home state and I've never heard anything about this. Maybe someone can enlighten me on why novelty lighters are an issue?

New Jersey: "Senate Bill 305 prohibits the sale of tobacco products and electronic smoking devices at pharmacies."

I've listed just the few that I thought relevant to pipe smokers. There are many more in the article.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and romaso

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
As to the proposed ban on novelty lighters in Missouri, it’s an old idea.

What distresses me is that it might outlaw “naughty girl Zippos” and those old view lighters that had fishing lures and dice in them.

I can sort of understand how if there are little children in your house (or grandchildren) it may be a good idea not to keep animal shaped lighters or ones that make noises and flash lights.

All in all it sounds like a solution in search of a problem, to me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The pipe tobacco industry has piss poor attorneys and I predict the entire pipe tobacco industry is going to get bent over big time.

I have been saying Pollyanna shit like this for years and was told I was a paranoid idiot. Yep call me an idiot. Who has the 25 year cellar and who doesn't? I warned and warned but my advice was barely heard and I was just discounted as some paranoid douche bag who knew nothing.

My father was a corporate attorney and owned his own law firm for over 40 years. My grandfather began the firm, my uncle was an attorney but not like my father. He didn't get a Masters in Taxation The next generation of attorneys in my family my oldest daughter graduates in May. I can speak and understand legalize to a certain degree. I really have to be in the mood to read that shit.

homesteader

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2019
I found the text of the bill: a "'novelty lighter' means a mechanical or electrical
device typically used for lighting cigarettes, cigars, or pipes that has entertaining audio or visual effects, or that resembles in physical form or function articles commonly recognized as appealing to or intended for use by children under eighteen years of age.
This includes, but is not limited to, lighters that resemble cartoon characters, toys, guns, watches, musical instruments, vehicles, animals, food or beverages or that play musical notes, have flashing lights, or have other entertaining features."

The link: HB2280 | Missouri 2022 | Prohibits the sale or distribution of novelty lighters | TrackBill - https://trackbill.com/bill/missouri-house-bill-2280-prohibits-the-sale-or-distribution-of-novelty-lighters/2180873/

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Nothing is sacred anymoe. Next it will be

Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo...
PJB4UfR.jpg

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
here is a link to the article: 26 State-Level Tobacco Legislative Bills to Watch

A lot of them pertain to vaping and cigarettes. Some do pertain to pipe tobacco too.

"Indiana: House Bill 1379 prohibits the sale of flavored tobacco products. . . ."

Kentucky: House Bill 201 proposes tax increases.

"Missouri: House Bill 2280 prohibits the distribution or sale of novelty lighters." This is my home state and I've never heard anything about this. Maybe someone can enlighten me on why novelty lighters are an issue?

New Jersey: "Senate Bill 305 prohibits the sale of tobacco products and electronic smoking devices at pharmacies."

I've listed just the few that I thought relevant to pipe smokers. There are many more in the article.
If prohibiting flavored tobacco, does that include tobacco flavored?

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Don't give them any ideas. From just the right perspective, latakia, perique, and dark fired are flavored tobaccos.
Haha - I’m sorry. The assault on tobacco should remain only on reprocessed tobacco. Sheet tobacco. Organic, fresh and properly aged tobacco should be excluded from all levels of nonsense. Perhaps I should start growing tobacco on my additional acreage. I’d be interested if I could grow some - I’ve got about 8 acres I can grow on… small batch niche size of property. ?