PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Good Morning. I woke up to receive this notification in my inbox. Let's give these guys some business! :puffy:
Yesterday, September 11th, I learned of the new tobacco tax in Pennsylvania. In respect of the special date, I've held off on this announcement until today.

The new law, passed by a Republican legislature and signed by a Democratic governor, is imposing a new $.55 per OUNCE tax on tobacco products. (Cigarettes have their own separate tax increase and cigars are exempt). This tax goes into effect on October 1 and includes any in-store stock I may have.
So come October 1st, I need to inventory all my pipe tobacco and pay the tax on it. Obviously, the less stock, I have, the less tax I need to pay.
So starting now until September 30, 2016, all pipe tobacco is discounted another 25%! Tins AND BULK!

This is a huge discount on our already heavily discounted prices, but I'd rather pass the savings on to you, than pay the state.
This sale has some conditions:

Only tobacco in stock is subject to the sale.

Quantities are limited to what is in stock.

NO SPECIAL ORDER items will be accepted, even if they appear on the web site. If it is not in stock, it is not available for this sale.
After, September 30th.... truthfully, I'm not sure how we will proceed, but I expect us to still continue if at all possible. But for now, buy, buy, buy! You will never see these prices again!
Remember: First notice of 'scarce' tobaccos is always posted on our FaceBook page first, so be sure to sign up.
As always, I've listed some specials or new items below. Please feel free to look at them.
Specials can sell out suddenly so order soon.
Join us on Facebook as a fan of 'mars cigars & pipes'.

Get updates on new arrivals and specials.

See the quicklink on the right side of this email.
-Mike at mars

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
They don't ship outside the US.

By the way, I'm surprised to see that some of the biggest pipes/tobaccos sellers too aren't shipping outside the US. P&C to name one.
So sad. If anyone knows anyone personally at mars cigars, would you mind slipping them a word ? :worship:

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
"So come October 1st, I need to inventory all my pipe tobacco and pay the tax on it. Obviously, the less stock, I have, the less tax I need to pay."
That part right there is so unfair to a business, especially small ones running on tight margins since the goverment wants the tax before you can collect it from the consumer. You think you've bought and paid for your inventory free and clear and now you need to pay more.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I jumped on the opportunity. Not a big order, but I got the last 8 tins of Royal Yacht, and the last 3 tins of the C&D Christmas Blend and threw a tin of Pennington Gap in for good measure.
Edit: Woops, the discount is already included in the price. No biggie... over $2 cheaper than other places with the discount. Still a smoking deal.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Their stock was definitely wider than deep but I managed to snag a few GLPs I needed as well as a few POUNDS of G&H that P&C too quickly sold out of during their last sale.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
"The power to tax involves the power to destroy"
I'm sure the extra tax will bring in a net negative after it drives the smaller B&Ms out of business and their contributions to other taxed areas is figured in. Can't collect business tax and licenses once you drive someone out of business.

Jun 4, 2014
I managed to snag a few MacBaren and Captain Earle's blends. I was disappointed that the Pennsylvania legislature let this new tax on loose tobacco go through.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I placed my first order very shortly after receiving the email this morning. I concentrated on the blends I knew would sell out quickly that my cellar needed. It was a large order. Just a few minutes ago I placed a second order that contains the other, 'less in demand', items and other blends not in danger of the grandfather ruling. To my astonishment, my second order number is nearly 130 above my first. So, that small operation is dealing with 150+ or so orders today. Must be busy!

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Yea, most things I would have gotten were out but I did fill out the Hermit-Captain Earles blends I wanted for the cellar. Let see since I live in PA and the new tax of .55 per ounce, I would owe $1803.40 in floor tax if I owned a B&M.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hit their site too late last night. Of the ten blends I smoke and cellar all were out of stock. My loss but I'm glad some of you made out well.
Fnord

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I tried to order a few tins of Orlik Golden Sliced but they don't take Mastercard ! Or evidently Paypal !

Status
Not open for further replies.