PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
People who water flush their pipes have different ways of doing it. Some trickle water, some go full force. Some use warm water and others use hot. Some don't disassemble their pipes while others do.

I've stated that I don't run water though my Vulcanite stems, and don't use alcohol on my Lucite stems.

There seems to be a consensus with those who use this technique, however they choose to do it, that it works quite well for them, which is, when all is said and done, what matters.
I'm interested, why not clean lucite with alcohol? I have been and hate to think I'm damaging them.

Aug 1, 2012
I'm interested, why not clean lucite with alcohol? I have been and hate to think I'm damaging them.
I can help with that. While you can clean lucite with alcohol, it does damage the stem. You can see this with clouding on clear stems and, with the addition of heat, melting of them as well as opaque stems. These, I recommend cleaning with water and mild soap.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Don't know about lucite as I have no stems of said material, but it was reported and proven that alcohol can promote the development of micro-cracks in acrylic. This is why I use alcohol on acrylic stems very sparsely—basically only when first getting a brand new pipe for disinfection purposes, and/or if the stem ever becomes soiled and I have no ready access to soap and water.

I wash all my stems, vulcanite or acrylic or cheap plastic, in the sink with soap and lukewarm water after every smoke. All but the Almar's stem, of course. ?

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Don't know about lucite as I have no stems of said material, but it was reported and proven that alcohol can promote the development of micro-cracks in acrylic. This is why I use alcohol on acrylic stems very sparsely—basically only when first getting a brand new pipe for disinfection purposes, and/or if the stem ever becomes soiled and I have no ready access to soap and water.

I wash all my stems, vulcanite or acrylic or cheap plastic, in the sink with soap and lukewarm water after every smoke. All but the Almar's stem, of course. ?
You learn something new every day. Good information, I will be changing up my routine. Thanks

Reactions: Jerry144

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Lucite is a trade name for acrylic. See this acrylic compatibility chart: Acrylic Chemical Compatibility Chart | TDI International, Inc. - https://www.tdiinternational.com/technical-source-product-info/chemical-compatibility-charts/acrylic/

Isopropyl (i.e., rubbing) alcohol of up to 50% and ethyl (i.e., grain) alcohol of up to 30% are OK for a short while. Don't soak the lucite in the stuff.

Aug 1, 2012
I don't believe they were deleted, just locked. I think the bigger issue is you don't have any specifics to point to.
Or maybe my earlier explanation was correct. You can keep believing that the abuse by some posters in both camps didn't exist but that would mean you haven't read the threads.

Reactions: Rockyrepose

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
IBLA It was so hot on the deck while I read through this thread I did purchase a mister kit for my deck umbrella, probably doesn't count though. I'm a flusher and you might not be but we both enjoy a clean pipe don't we?

Reactions: FurCoat and jpmcwjr
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Or maybe my earlier explanation was correct. You can keep believing that the abuse by some posters in both camps didn't exist but that would mean you haven't read the threads.
I've read and participated in most if not all of those threads. You're welcome to believe whatever you wish but when you cannot back up your belief with facts, it has no credibility. In this case, providing the facts should be relatively easy yet you refuse to do so in order that you can cling to your belief. Kind of like those who wish to make negative remarks about water flushing their pipes without any experience whatsoever to justify doing so.

Aug 1, 2012
I've read and participated in most if not all of those threads. You're welcome to believe whatever you wish but when you cannot back up your belief with facts, it has no credibility. In this case, providing the facts should be relatively easy yet you refuse to do so in order that you can cling to your belief. Kind of like those who wish to make negative remarks about water flushing their pipes without any experience whatsoever to justify doing so.
Or I do not wish to be attacked again or to get the thread shut down by by triggering the ones who invariably attack anyone who disagrees with them. I'm tired of the nastiness and don't want more of it. Bury your head in the sand if you wish but it happens.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Has anyone else noticed that these threads coincide with some good tobacco drops/releases?! I’m convinced that a couple of the lads from both sides of the fence orchestrate these. The amount of tobacco I’ve missed because I’ve committed to reading 6 pages of dribble just because I saw the padlock sign.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Or I do not wish to be attacked again or to get the thread shut down by by triggering the ones who invariably attack anyone who disagrees with them. I'm tired of the nastiness and don't want more of it. Bury your head in the sand if you wish but it happens.
Perhaps but I'm not the guy trying to gouge fellow BOTL by selling $11 tins of a special release for $80 two weeks after they sold out. I think the problem is you're confusing your passive aggressive actions with being the victim.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
OP when I had the IDEA to put a...erm...certain pipe through the dishwasher it came out with an increased weight of 1g. It did the same after freezing it overnight. The original weight of the pipe was 54g. It is now however back to the original weight after doing the “would it survive a fall of the second story roof test”. @mikethompson ran an independent qualitative study that was also embargoed

Aug 1, 2012
Perhaps but I'm not the guy trying to gouge fellow BOTL by selling $11 tins of a special release for $80 two weeks after they sold out. I think the problem is you're confusing your passive aggressive actions with being the victim.
Nice job. Now that you have run out of real things to say, you get personal. It doesn't help your case that you must bring in irrelevant arguments in to make yourself look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.