PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Description:

This is unique in that it begins as a very light blend of fine Eastern Belt Lemon leaf and cutter grade tobaccos which are transformed through pressure, aging and light stoving into beautiful dark pungent cake.
This a Flake that some just can't get dry. I've not had this issue, cube cutting and left out over night. I then proceed to crumble the cube cut into a granulated form, resembling dried Copenhagen. Gravity fill the bowl and go.
I finally broke down and tried this Virginia because Cosmic goes on and on about Mcclelland's Virgina's. Well I'm glad he goes on and on about their virginia's, the stuff is nice. Dark Navy Flake is sweet with spice on the tongue. There's fruit notes that Bob and weave throughout, BBQ comes to mind at times. I can almost discern those lemon hay notes that I've had with bright Virginias, but the process seems to darken and bolden the flavors. I wonder what the cutter grade tobacco is that's used, is it a burley? Its seems Like it is but I'm not sure. Looking for a Nictotine hit? Move on and just pack another bowl of Old Joe Krantz.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'm finding that Dark Navy Flake reminds me of some of the flavors I get from C&D's Yorktown. The Dark Nay flake is smoother and richer. I recommend both tobaccos, if you are in the mood to compare to different styles of American Virginias.

Jun 27, 2016
Cutting it into thin square-ended strips long enough to fold and stuff and then adding some crumbs on top works well too. It's got to be pretty dry though. Definitely a "low-humidity weather" type of smoke. I've got some strips that have been jarred up for something like ten years, and the stuff is really, really good.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Yeah I bought 2 oz of it two years ago. Couldn't figure it out, I sort of just gave up on it. It has really good flavor but I just could not keep it lit. It might be aging nicely in the ball jar. Maybe I'll try it when the humidity comes down a little bit.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
minfarshaw, it's been awhile since I've seen a post from you. I just checked the last thread you started and found it to be about moving from the CITY to the Jersey burbs?

How's that been for ya? You have some catching up to do with us.

Oh cool, I was mentioned and minfarshaw is back, double cool.
I do mention McC's quite a bit. To me, what they do to Virginias are far superior to everyone else. But, there are some really good companies doing some good to great stuff. Don't get me wrong, I am not a one company pony.
The Dark Navy Flake is one of the best, with Dark Star slightly taking the lead over it.
I'm glad that you liked it. I need to stock up on some more of this stuff, myself.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Thanks Cosmic!
Glad this post brought a member back to post. Good to hear from you, minfarshaw.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Maybe this illustration explains what is meant by "cutter grade". I dunno, really. (Sorry about the quality.) :(

tobacco-leaf-type1-517x600.jpg

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Hey, thanks Cortez! Great illustration. High in oil and resin content, shedding light here. Not so much part of he problem, but part of the solution, Cortez. :clap:

You can smoke "cutters" or suckers as we call them. And, lugs. I just air cure these and smoke when I am outside around my barn. But, it's not the best part of the plant. It's not bad though, in the end, all of my leaf gets rolled into twists and ropes, lugs and suckers and all. I feel like it gives me a bit of the whole crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.