PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Kentucky Derby, at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Ky., is back in its normal season, tomorrow/May 1, after running in September last year because of the virus with no spectators. This year the race will have 45,000 in the stands, masked, about 100K fewer than average. The favorite is owned by a sheik who seems to have a rather dark back story, but it is a beautiful horse, probably the beauty contest winner, and there are other hot contenders in the 8-1 and 5-1 odds neighborhood. Check out the various online racing forms or one of the national newspapers for racing expert picks and horses' histories. Santa Anita and Louisiana Derby winners are in the twenty horse field. I think we'll skip concocting the mint juleps this year, and I'll settle for a bourbon on the rocks. The high rollers tend to bet as late as possible to keep the betting pool from being affected by the changing odds they produce. My wife and I pick horses just for the bragging rights; she's a lot more savvy than me, but I enjoy the show.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

boatme99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Somewhere in this vast universe
When I was running boats up and down the coast I always seemed to be on a northbound trip when the Derby was run. I'd try to get a simple pool going in whatever bar I was in. Straight draw a name from the hat, winner takes all.
Being I was doing it, I'd take the last slip. I happened to win 3 years in a row.

Reactions: mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never been to the Derby in person but have made trips to Saratoga Springs and Belmont. In terms of actually seeing the race, TV is better. For the pageantry and festivity, you have to be there. The regulars go to the paddock and size up the horses, read them like tea leaves. However it's, well, a horse race. I think one horse scrubbed, I heard on the radio, but I don't know which one, so it's down to 19, which is still a big field and will be prone to traffic jams.

Reactions: JOHN72
Status
Not open for further replies.