PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Well, they done did it again. SP got their US carvers to put out a pipe with a theme for the 4th of July American Exposition. This being the 5th annual they went with the original bamboo theme. It was an AMAZING group of pipes! Todd Johnson using a really unique S curved piece of bamboo where he took the stem into the bamboo from the before the bamboo curved. Really haven't seen someone do that before the way Todd did. Sam Adebayo did an incredible dark stain sandblasted scoop in the Danish style, but he sandblasted the bamboo and stained it a really nice blue color. Dasha Florov did a mind blowing piece, kind of a freehand shaped pear-ish. Had incredible grain and a really cool dragon/snake scale pattern juma stem. Looked like she inset some of the juma in the bamboo dimples (knuckles?). Adam Davidson did a head scratcher of using three bamboo pieces vertically on top of one another. Had to have taken forever to carve that one. Great work Adam! I was lucky enough to pick up Ryan Alden's offering, an incredible sandblasted morta fig shaped bowl with a really cool tight knuckled accordion style bamboo shank. Can't wait to have a bowl in that one! Congrats to all the carvers on the excellent work and a huge thanks to SmokingPipes for getting it together.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
b1ca6bc0-49a0-410b-b724-7b7f8a1388d91-277x600.png

Here’s the picture from the amazing photography screw at SmokingPipes of the Alden pipe I picked up. When I get it I’ll post more pictures.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not a bad price on that one, but that plunger style end of the stem meeting the shank seems a bit out of place for some reason. Overall it's a well put together composition but there's just something about that stem that bothers me. It somehow disrupts the flow of an otherwise very organic shape.

Not a bad price on that one, but that plunger style end of the stem meeting the shank seems a bit out of place for some reason. Overall it's a well put together composition but there's just something about that stem that bothers me. It somehow disrupts the flow of an otherwise very organic shape.
It's a wonderful pipe but the shank curve bothers me too. Loved all the bamboo pipes, but Scottie's was my favorite.

Cheers,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.