PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
The tin note on this tobacco is at first a bit funky with a pungent, sour, subtle fermented-fruit smell. I kept going back to it to get another sample as it got a little air and opened up. After about five minutes, it smells like pineapple and sour citrus with a hint of sweetness along with the fermented, pungent fruit lurking in the background.

For a (2018) 3.5 year aged Tobacco, there was no signs of crystallized sugar. The tin held some loose tobacco that had fallen off during shipping and handling.

The tobacco is drier than I expected, but perfect for smoking right out or the tin.
The tobacco is easy to prepare for smoking and packed into my Altinay Rusticated Dublin Meer nicely. After a char lit and tamp, it behaves well and burns evenly and cool.

The smoke is lite and smooth and presents a harmony of subtlety sweet, citrus (lemons), sour, fermented fruit notes. The Spice is a balanced taste note that never takes the lead. Not sure of the percentages of the source tobaccos in this blend? I am guessing it’s predominantly Oriental Tobacco with a supporting role from the Virginia’s and a pinch of Perique.

Predominant flavor is the wonderful oriental Tobacco with the Virginia lending the sweet, sometimes bready, sour notes that commingle effortlessly with the Oriental tobacco. No bit or rough edges.

Overall the flavor is incredibly smooth. I found myself thinking, “mellow yellow, quite right”

Halfway through my second bowl, I thought an IPA would be really good with this tobacco. So I headed to the kegerator and Pulled a nice IPA. What a perfect pairing.

This tobacco is very enjoyable. The light, smooth nature of the flavor profile makes this a great warm weather smoke that you can enjoy quite easily.

Flavor of this tobacco remains constant throughout the bowl. A medium on strength and nicotine.

Several times while smoking this blend, I was reminded of smoking straight Izmir Turkish Tobacco.
I can see myself returning to this tobacco over the Summer and into the early Fall when I’m looking for a smooth easy smoke with great natural tobacco flavor.

The GLP website says Regents Flake is made from the same tobaccos. So, it may be an option for those that steer away from plugs. Not sure if they both smoke the same due to the Nuances that are created in the preparation, and pressing of a plug versus a flake tobacco?

It would be interesting to smoke a fresh tin to see how the tobacco transforms over time.

As I am closing out this post, I am thinking, “another wonderful blend by GL Pease!”
DC742A6D-81A7-4D10-9CEC-2E8BDDAC0A0E.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is the SP description on GLP Temple Bar:

Rich, ripe red and sweet golden Virginia tobaccos are generously spiced with fine, fragrant Orientals and enhanced with a delicate touch of Perique for a bit of added depth and complexity. The leaf is carefully layered and pressed for a fortnight into large cakes, which are then cut into bars and tinned, ready to be sliced and rubbed out as desired for your ultimate smoking pleasure.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Thanks for the review! I’m a big fan of Cairo and have had my eye on both Temple Bar and Regents Flake. I’m sure they will make their way into my stash soon ??
Yes, I've enjoyed Cairo too. But it seems a bit inconsistent so far for me - either it's an amazing smoke, or just ordinary. Not sure what's causing the difference. I guess I still have to play around with packing and pipe choice. I don't think it has anything to do with the tobacco per se. I bought it originally to explore orientals. As to Temple Bar - I'm looking forward to trying that one as well - one of the next ones on my list.

Reactions: ClenchedBilliard

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
The tin note on this tobacco is at first a bit funky with a pungent, sour, subtle fermented-fruit smell. I kept going back to it to get another sample as it got a little air and opened up. After about five minutes, it smells like pineapple and sour citrus with a hint of sweetness along with the fermented, pungent fruit lurking in the background.

For a (2018) 3.5 year aged Tobacco, there was no signs of crystallized sugar. The tin held some loose tobacco that had fallen off during shipping and handling.

The tobacco is drier than I expected, but perfect for smoking right out or the tin.
The tobacco is easy to prepare for smoking and packed into my Altinay Rusticated Dublin Meer nicely. After a char lit and tamp, it behaves well and burns evenly and cool.

The smoke is lite and smooth and presents a harmony of subtlety sweet, citrus (lemons), sour, fermented fruit notes. The Spice is a balanced taste note that never takes the lead. Not sure of the percentages of the source tobaccos in this blend? I am guessing it’s predominantly Oriental Tobacco with a supporting role from the Virginia’s and a pinch of Perique.

Predominant flavor is the wonderful oriental Tobacco with the Virginia lending the sweet, sometimes bready, sour notes that commingle effortlessly with the Oriental tobacco. No bit or rough edges.

Overall the flavor is incredibly smooth. I found myself thinking, “mellow yellow, quite right”

Halfway through my second bowl, I thought an IPA would be really good with this tobacco. So I headed to the kegerator and Pulled a nice IPA. What a perfect pairing.

This tobacco is very enjoyable. The light, smooth nature of the flavor profile makes this a great warm weather smoke that you can enjoy quite easily.

Flavor of this tobacco remains constant throughout the bowl. A medium on strength and nicotine.

Several times while smoking this blend, I was reminded of smoking straight Izmir Turkish Tobacco.
I can see myself returning to this tobacco over the Summer and into the early Fall when I’m looking for a smooth easy smoke with great natural tobacco flavor.

The GLP website says Regents Flake is made from the same tobaccos. So, it may be an option for those that steer away from plugs. Not sure if they both smoke the same due to the Nuances that are created in the preparation, and pressing of a plug versus a flake tobacco?

It would be interesting to smoke a fresh tin to see how the tobacco transforms over time.

As I am closing out this post, I am thinking, “another wonderful blend by GL Pease!”
View attachment 150533
Thanks for the review! This is definitely one of the next tobaccos on my list.

justscience

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2013
Upper Midwestern USA
I stocked up on this during the C&D mold years, unknown to me at the time. I should open the remaining tins because I really liked it, hope there are no more surprises.