PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
Condorlover1 last time we talked on pm.com, before a few days ago, I hadn't had the chance to try any, but a few months ago bulletsnbriar sent me a plug of Condor and a piece of a plug of Warrior. But, I haven't tried Condor RR though.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Just fired up a bowl of Pirate's Alley. The description says it's a va/per but I'm getting a more creamy, sweet, nutty flavor. Found online descriptions of it being a va/per/bur. Ok That makes more sense. It's been about 10 years since I've had CH, but this reminds me of what I think CH tastes like, maybe a little better, and midbowl I'm starting to get a little pepper sensation. Very mild and could been an all day smoke.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Alright folks, it's been a short 2 weeks, but the time has come to pass the box. Was not able to sample as much as I'd like to have, but I bagged up some blends for later. I also tossed in some more mylars. There were some big named lat blends I've wanted to try and am always reminded that Latakia is not for me. After taking out about 2 dozen miscellaneous space-taker-uppers out of the box, the box has again been reduced to 1. At 120 blends though, just barely.

My contributions were some Penzance (glad to get rid of this nasty English blend haha), some 9 year old McClellands 2035 (heard it compared to Dark Star) and 2015 (one of my favorite Va/Pers) and 805 (i think it's listed as an aro, but I consider it a Va with a light topping- PS LTFish, some FrankenBastard (since all the Smokey Bastard and Plan B were gone I put in my Laphroaig flavored home mix) and I refilled the straight VA I smoked with hickory wood chips last summer.

Mr. Dan, who is next?

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Just fired up a bowl of Pirate's Alley. The description says it's a va/per but I'm getting a more creamy, sweet, nutty flavor. Found online descriptions of it being a va/per/bur. Ok That makes more sense. It's been about 10 years since I've had CH, but this reminds me of what I think CH tastes like, maybe a little better, and midbowl I'm starting to get a little pepper sensation. Very mild and could been an all day smoke.
I'm glad you like it. That is one of my all time favorite smokes from my local shop. It is to me an all day smoke for sure.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Well, eightywon, will the owner of the moniker shanelktown come on down!

Updatetrans-vi.png

And the list, as it stands right now.....
shanelktown

cmdrmcbragg

lucky695

hiplainsdrifter

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Wow, on page 18 so far and need my back worked on. What a history of Box Pass evolution and insight into the human condition.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Moby Dick ain't got nothing on us!
Thank you for hanging in there and sticking to the rules, zitotczito. It gives you, as John McPhee said, a sense of where you are.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Well I have read the 27 pages and it reads as a piper's soap opera. With that said I am interested in joining and a PM has been sent.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Well now I wait with baited breath and I still have to take the quiz. What's passing (no pun intended-well yes is was).

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
BoxPassHQ-vi.jpg
Well, the brake has been released and the flywheel is in motion, working up enough inertial energy to propel The Box on to shanelktown. Please review The Rules, and conduct yourself accordingly. One never knows when The Box Pass Security Team may pay a visit.......

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Was going through my pipe bag and it's a good thing I did- found 2 more blends I meant to try while out and about. Good thing the box hasn't been sealed yet. Smoking some Peterson Irish Oak in guess what... A Pete. My first impression of this is that it is very similar to Haddo's Delight. I went over to look up Irish Oak on TR. com and I'll be damned if they don't have the same leafs! I think I actually like this more than Haddo's, though I can't say I'm a huge HD fan.

Shanelktown, I should have the box in the mail by end of day and will post tracking number.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Alright guys, the pics do no justice to the size of this thing but here they are:

image131-600x450.jpg

Thing barely wants to close:

image132-600x450.jpg

And is bulging like a well aged tin:

image133-600x450.jpg

Enjoy Shanelktown:

image134-600x450.jpg

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Impressive to say the least. I did like the information on how to get the label off the tins to put on the bags like the Uncle Toms's in the upper left of the box, live and learn.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Live and Learn, indeed....my father always said that, picked it from the pathologist that he worked with for many years.
Here you go: Heat gun on the inside of the tin, carefully, slowly, pull the label off of the tin. Wear a heat resistant glove or potholder on your left hand...the tin gets very hot.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
This shall be greatly enjoyed... The box pass security I sure hope they are forum members Dan would be great to spend some time with you guys.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Shane, I'm about 20 minutes south of Allentown. If you get out this way, we have kick-ass pipe club, The Lehigh Valley Pipe Club, that meets every 4 weeks or so on Monday evenings at The Wooden Match in Bethlehem.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I was hoping to get our that way this month but ended up having to take time to visit family this week.