PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
And the winner is....neither! They were each a different (and great) experience.
Recently, through the generosity of fellow piper I was gifted a sample of 2006 Haddo's Delight. Nearly at the same time, I traded a forum member 8 oz. of 2013 HH ODF for the same weight of 2006 Anni Kake. Well they're just begging to be compared, right?
First thing's first- I'll fully admit this is not an apples to apples comparison- the HD was smoked in briar on a windy day, the AK in a cob on a still day. So....more must be smoked to complete this comparison.
But to begin...
The 2006 H&H Anniversary Kake was wonderful. I found the Perique had really mellowed. The flavor reminded me more of lemon drop or candied orange than the plum or fig I was expecting. It reminded me of a very mature H&H Marble Kake, with hints of baking spices in the back. Absolutely yummy.
The 2006 GL Pease Haddo's Delight was...well, a delight. Here, the Perique has mellowed, but less so than the AK. I was greeted immediately with that wonderful plum/raisin taste as well all think of with VaPers. As I smoked through the bowl, I was constantly reminded of the flavor of golden raisins. Of note, while I can almost never smoke down to the ubiquitous "white ash", I did so twice in a row with this finely matured stuff.
Three things are clear:
1. Both of these, with a bit of age, were simply marvelous.

2. The sample of 2006 Haddo's I have is simply too small.

3. I need to put a boatload of this stuff in my cellar.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Thanks Booker. They are both fantastic tobaccos. The AK is really special when considering the price. When I first joined the forum there was a member always singing its praises and I thought it was a bit silly. I've since converted :)

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Two of my favorites. Though I must admit to not having tried any 2006. Enjoy!
Haddo's is of course a classic, even fresh. IMO, AK is OK fresh but gets dramatically better with a bit of age I would imagine the '06 was fantastic.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
AK I have had and very good. I have some 8oz tins on backorder. The Haddos is one I need to try although I am not sure about the burley.

Status
Not open for further replies.