PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
So I'm looking to spend about $200 on a pipe and I have wanted an artisan pipe for some time now. I might be able to spend a little more but some things would have to align to make that happen. Anyway I am fully intending on going to the columbus show in 10 days and was going to try to find something there. But in my online research I have found a few deals that I just don't know if I can pass up. I have found:
Andy Petersen (unsmoked)- Huge pipe - rusticated with a cumberland stem and a white/ivory spacer

Old Nellie (unsmoked)- lovat/ billiard rusticated with a cumberland stem (I emailed joe and he told me that this was one of his earlier pipes before he started doing his oil curing)

Larryson (unsmoked) - treebark/horn/dublin freehand

Scott Klein (estate) - Huge egg - sandblasted black stem

Simeon Turner (unsmoked) - Lovat/bulldogg sandblasted cumberland stem
I like certain things about all these pipes, but I am not blown away/in love with any. They all seem to be good deals at about $200 each. So here is the question, should I pull the trigger on one or wait for the columbus show to see what I can find?

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
You're going to be in the same room as a lot of beautiful pipes my friend. I would think about that.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
Delkhouri, I know that Mr. Nelson was there last year and I can't remember if Scott Cline was but there were definitely a decent amount of artisans / artisan pipes there. If I were you, I'd wait and I think you will find one that you'll be able to hold in your hand that will blow your socks off instead of one online that is just, ok. I think you answered your own question here:
but I am not blown away/in love with any.
8)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It's my understanding that the pricing of pipes will go down close to the end of the show.

But, you might see a pipe that really winds your watch, and you risk missing out if you wait to see if the maker reduces the asking price.

However; you might consider haggling, but do so with considered restraint.

A real artisan, won't price his pipes with haggling in mind.

The time and materials involved in making a high quality pipe are considerable.

A pipe making friend of mine once said he didn't think he was asking more than $5 an hour for his work.... and they still cost $200.

Take some pipe cleaners for testing the draft hole.

And, remember the most important thing is to insure that you actually like the pipe.

If you buy it because you think it's a good deal but it doesn't fit your "look" or personae then you won't be satisfied with it.

:puffy:

Aug 1, 2012
Alternately, you could go with a Mark Tinsky or an Arley Curtz. Both artisans are great carvers and really nice guys.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
+1 on the Tinsky suggestion. I imagine he will have a booth at the show.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I would recommend waiting as well. Whenever I have spent $200 on a pipe, I had zero qualms about spending the dough. You need to love the pipe to spend that much IMHO.
Good luck!
I bought a Rad Davis estate (mint) at the Richmond show for $125....
Wow - you lucky devil! 8O

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I vote to wait also. I have bought several pipes off the internet and am not entirely satisfied. I want to hold a pipe in my hand up close and personal. It does make a difference especially for an artisan $200 pipe.
:puffpipe:

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I will wait and see what I can find at the show. I can only go to the show in the morning but maybe I can find a good deal on a artisan pipe I love. If not I am sure with enough patience I can find something online eventually, maybe even one of the pipes I mentioned will still be available.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
I'll just throw this out. It sounds, to me, that you really want the "prefect" pipe.
That may be but in reality I have trouble buying stuff online because I can't see/hold/feel/touch it in person. So one of those pipe I found might be just what I am looking for but I can't tell from just seeing a few pictures. I will see what happens at the show and then go from there.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
call Mark Tinsky and get a pipe made just for you.. an easier guy to work with you won't find.

Aug 1, 2012
Mark Tinsky...an easier guy to work with you won't find.
True. My buy couldn't have been easier. It wasn't a commission but he did have to make the pipe as there were none currently available. He was great to correspond with and made the whole thing a nice experience.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Never buy a pipe that you don't truly like. Go to the show and see what really appeals to you. One artisan maker I both like and occasionally commission a pipe from is Tony Fillenwarth. His pipes are reasonably priced and I've never had a bad pipe from him. Check out his site. Arley Curtz is another great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.