PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
Picked this up today and my 4 year old daughter had to say "daddy scored" to everyone at the market after she heard me say "score" after picking this up for $20.
It's a 317 system from Peterson and I think it dates to 1960. It took a pretty good cleaning.
The first smoke is going well so far!

pic 1

pic 2
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Can't see the pics, but have to agree with your daughter. "Daddy scored!" :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it cleaned up well and is sound, daddy scored. I think Petes average over $100 new, and cleaned-up estates are not much cheaper. It sure helps to buy estates in person, so you can see what you're getting. ebay photos tell you all of zero.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I am deeply envious.
I have only had one really good flea market/antique shop find, a spiffy little Sasieni 4-dot bulldog I stole for $18.
But $20 for a 317 of that vintage (my birthyear!) would be an awfully nice find.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a hunch that pipes must be historically regional. The Northeast and Midwest seem to offer some good pipes at antique shops, flea markets, and yard sales. At least in my part of the South, cigarettes must have been the thing. As I've mentioned before, if I ask about tobacco pipes people look at me as if I were inquiring about machine guns. In the rare instance where they have them (the Fairground flea market) they are priced high and the seller knows nothing about the items. Yard sales have zero. They must turn up, but you'd have to comb them every weekend, which I don't.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It would appear the jpg is on your computer...
/file///storage/emulated/0/Download/img_20171216_203805924-150x84.jpg
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
Pics are in album, that's as far as I could get them, apparently.

For clarity....when I say I scored I don't mean monetarily. This pipe would probably sell for 75-100. The score was a fact that I got such a great little pipe for so cheap. It smokes great and is tight. It did need a reaming and a thorough cleaning.
Also, I noticed my post said 1960 instead of 1960's. I can't narrow down the date so closely because I'm not a Peterson exprt or even a Peterson novice. I just know it was post 59 due to "republic" and pre 70's based on the guy telling me it was his uncle's that died in 71, and because from my research the markings are not the same after 1973 on this pipe.
It is an excellent smoker and will go in to the rotation of my "going out and about" pipes.
Thank you all for your comments. Sorry I couldn't get the pictures to load.
Jake

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are many flea markets where the sellers are saavy and want market value or better (or much better) for pipes, but fleas, yard and garage sales, etc., are still an open market where five to twenty bucks can get you something really good. It's like the lottery; if your number comes around, it's payday. 'Never happened for me, but I don't ignore the possibility.

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Nova Scotia Venders have no clue the value of estate pipes. Unsmoked Butz Choqin for $1.00 couple years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.