PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
That would be French for "guaranteed Briar" which would indicate country of origin; the flair at the top is also indicative of St. Claude designs. I would guess a major house but a second or mass produced for another seller. I suspect you gotten a great pipe that will smoke wonderfully. Check how the shank and draft hole are drilled as well ... the french have their own method there too... I believe Sablebrush has written about that in the Comoy or Charatan thread (if i recall correctly). Before you rusticate or sandblast look at the grain of the pipe when uncovered ... you may just want to stain it as a natural. Only you can decide which is preferred. That coating was a "style" at one time (60-70s) so it may not be a bad piece of briar after all. Let us know as you progress ... I'm sure most of us are wishing you great success with it.
:)?
It passed a pipe cleaner with no effort at all. Also smoked very well when I had a bowl this morning. I'll check out the link you sent and figure out what I'll do with this little baby. Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't jump to conclusions on the fills. I think on these factory runs they aren't always sorting that much. If it has a few inconspicuous fills that seem well set, I'd just strip it down to as bare it goes and smoke it as an unfinished pipe and let it color itself. It takes a few years to develop color fully, but sometimes the results are impressive, as if the pipe has been stained and waxed, but with no stain or wax. Some of them become bright polished with only hand buffing. It's uncanny and seems unlikely, but it is so. I have several unfinished Savinelli that have done that.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I you want to rusticate it take a look at this video.

And if you want to finish it completely here's a few simple steps. After you rusticate it give it a light coating of a tad of wood filler diluted in water to the consistency of skim milk. Let it day completely and buff off the excess. Black alcohol based stain will cover most sins so I recommend it. But first, apply a coat of red stain, let it dry and buff it. Then apply the black over the red and let it dry. The red underneath will make the black look richer. Give it a light buff. At this point you could stop but to really finish it off apply a light coat of button shillac, let dry and lightly buff. Good luck. puffy
I like the O'l sea rock briar stain, not sure if they were the first to use it but god it looks good when the black is a little rubbed off and the red pops threw, and ya I also use shellac on my corn cob mods, 20220514_175133.jpgstuff looks great.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Well the acetone didn't even touch the finish. Just cleaned off all the grime and shined it up. Even held a rag soaked in acetone around the shank where the finished had flaked and still nothing. May go the rustication route if anything at all.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Well the acetone didn't even touch the finish. Just cleaned off all the grime and shined it up. Even held a rag soaked in acetone around the shank where the finished had flaked and still nothing. May go the rustication route if anything at all.
Is the finish like a varnish...shiny coating? Polyurethane? I almost bought an French estate at an antique store, but I passed because of the coating.

What about micro-mesh pads? Do you think that would work. I'm curious in your outcome.

Reactions: reloader

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Is the finish like a varnish...shiny coating? Polyurethane? I almost bought an French estate at an antique store, but I passed because of the coating.

What about micro-mesh pads? Do you think that would work. I'm curious in your outcome.
Its a very thick coating. Could be anything that cures very hard. Not sure if its safe to use lacquer thinner on a pipe. I tried the micro mesh pads and they didn't do a whole lot either. If it wasn't chipped this pipe would be near indestructible with this coating. Need to do some more research before I try another solvent.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Great find! Can't wait to see how it turns out. I never find anything at yard sales but bric-a-brac.

C.Rorrer
This is the first one I've come across at a yard sale. I've heard of members finding very expensive pipes for great deals at yard sales and antique shops. It smokes well so we'll see what I can do to spruce it up a bit.

Reactions: chopper

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
I'm guessing it is polyurethane, which can be resistant to solvents. Paint remover would probably work, but I don't think that is a good idea on something you wish to smoke. Sometimes heat will loosen the finish. A heat gun or very careful application of a torch flame might get the finish to crinkle and slide off of the pipe. Walnut shell sandblasting might work well too. Good luck.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Here's a tip, for what it's worth. Never use any product on a pipe that is based on a petroleum distillate. If you want to use a stain, make it alcohol based. A good place to find them is shops that stock leather working supplies. puffy

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
That's probably what I'll end up doing. May not even sand it all the way down. I'm curious now as to what was used as a coating and how to remove it.
Reloader, I came across this Reborn pipes blog entry and thought of your pipe. Could yours have the same type varnish finish ? I see he uses 99% alcohol to remove some of the peeling varnish, then touches it up with a mahogany stain. I'm not suggesting that just forwarding it to you for further ideas and consideration.
Extra info is always good. Best wishes !