PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
I picked these 2 pipes up today from a co worker.

It's hard to tell who made the one, but it does say Made In Canada. The other says L. Walat on one side and 3a Bruyere on the other side with a wh

ite W on the stem.

I haven't researched any yet, I thought i would throw some pics up first.

Pics of the pipes are after I cleaned them up.
Mark

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Looks like you got a Ludwik Walat pipe made in Poland. I have no idea of the age or quality of the pipe, but it looks like it might have a meerschaum lining in the bowl, unless you really reamed it out to the wood.
The other pipe is a Canadian made Brigham in the rather rare 5 dot quality. Nice pipe! I would clean it up a little more, and you'll see 5 brass dots on the side of the stem. There should be a long aluminum tenon in the stem that takes a rock maple filter that you can buy at most of the site sponsors listed in red on the left column of all pages here. I get them from Pipes and Cigars. This is the best filter system pipe out there in my opinion. Do a little research on them, they are really nice pipes!
Looks like you got a couple of good smokers here, let us know how it goes.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Wolfe:
I don't know diddly about the Walat but I've never, ever seen a five - much less a six - dot Brigham burner.
Our resident Brigham savant, Pat, told me several years ago that the additional dots are more for the pipe's cosmetic appearances: meaning that a 1, 2 or 3 dot can easily smoke smoke just as well as a four dot. But, like Orley, I'm guessing you've got a pretty rare bird with that Brigham.
Do buy the rock maple filter inserts for your pipe. Their system really works.
Here's a little Brigham background:
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-brigham.html
http://www.brighampipes.com/2006%20Update.htm
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Brigham_Pipes
Please let us know how the clean up and smoking goes with your new finds. Pictures are always appreciated and if you don't attach them to your posts everybody's going to call you a liar.
Cheers,
Fnord

A satisfied two button Brigham guy....

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Shit!
Almost forgot.
As if a classic "Made in Canada" Brigham isn't cool enough this company developed talent like Phillip Trypis and Julius Vesz. And those guys, my hand to God, are in the same category of, "Mr. Alfred Dunhill, I'd like you to to meet Mr. Joel Sasieni."
Doesn't get much better than that, brother.
Fnord

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks for the replies and info guys.

I did ream it out just a bit too much on the top, I was using a piece of sandpaper and just got carried away a bit.

The Brigham does have the rock maple filter in it, and I just ordered a some from Smoking Pipes.

The Walat is all cleaned up and ready to go, as is the Brigham, although there is some discolouration on the stem that I want to try to get rid of.

I thought both pipes cleaned up rather easily and there was no strong odours in either pipe before I cleaned them..
Mark

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
So I did have a chance to smoke these pipes on the weekend and I am very happy with both of them.

I got a great smoke out of the Walat with Red Deer Mist, thanks to shikano53 (Chris). Lots of flavour, just a great smoking pipe in my opinion.

The Brigham was a good smoke with some Esoterica Pembroke ( once again thanks to Chris !!!). I should have let the tobacco dry out more than I did but impatient me didn't :roll:
So I am happy with purchasing these 2 pipes.

That brings my total to 7 pipes with my FloggleWerks pipe and a Shire Cobbit in transit.
I also picked up a double deck spice rack today at Value Village for $3 that will turn into a pipe rack pretty easily, I'll start a thread on that when I do the transformation :twisted:
Mark

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
"double deck spice rack today at Value Village for $3 that will turn into a pipe rack pretty easily,"
Hmmm great idea that I may have to look into to upgrade from my "deluxe" egg carton pipe rack.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hey Mark way to go! Awesome pipes.

Show us some pics of that rack once you get it finished. :clap:

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thanks !!!
I will certainly take pics of the pipe rack,

I'm not sure, but I swear those 2 tobaccos woke my taste buds up. I don't think I am packing any different and I have really been struggling lately with the "no taste or ashtray taste" syndrome but with those 2 I could actually taste and even tonight I had a bowl of Carter Hall in my Dr. Grabow Bent and it was a flavourful smoke.

We'll see what happens tomorrow night.

Hopefully the trend continues !!! :clap:
Mark

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
That's great news. It's a wonderful moment when suddenly things come together and you move to a new level.

May it be the start of many such moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.